Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Vit K shot and eye drops

Posted by on Dec. 6, 2010 at 6:07 PM
  • 11 Replies

Does anyone know where I can find information about whether these are required by law in my state (Minnesota)?  I've read that I can refuse it but some states require it.  I'd like to have some information on hand in case I need it at the hospital (I am having a hospital birth with a midwife for insurance reasons).

by on Dec. 6, 2010 at 6:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
truealaskanmom
by on Dec. 6, 2010 at 9:05 PM

They are not required by law in any state.  They will lie and say they are but they are not, and if you bring info with about why they are stupid then you are fine. 

palemoon21
by on Dec. 6, 2010 at 10:41 PM

You can refuse ANY meds, shots, tests ect..... the only thing that is required in most states ( I could still be wrong on this) is the PKU testing.

lilcntrymama
by on Dec. 6, 2010 at 11:56 PM

Check out this site, I found a lot of useful information just by browsing around. It may have just what you are looking for.

http://www.givingbirthnaturally.com/newborn-vitamin-k.html

jakeCafeMom Tickers

DixieFlower
by on Dec. 7, 2010 at 12:15 AM

They can still make life hellish for a bit even if you do this. I have a friend that declined both. The nurse informed her that the hospital was obligated to contact CPS (child protective services) if she refused. She still refused. She was discharged from the hospital on a Tuesday. On Wednesday she was contacted by CPS. Of course she'd done nothing wrong but they still made her jump through hoops. Two months later they closed the case. I couldn't take the chance of having a CPS case opened. Due to my job as soon as one was opened I'd be suspended without pay and would be under investigation by DIDS (Department of Intellectual Disability Services). Of course I was just wanting to refuse the eye ointment. We delay the Hep B and since I have malabsorption issues I feel in my situation it's beneficial for baby to recieve Vit K. Now if I didn't have those malabsorption issues I'd feel differently.

Quoting truealaskanmom:

They are not required by law in any state.  They will lie and say they are but they are not, and if you bring info with about why they are stupid then you are fine. 

truealaskanmom
by on Dec. 7, 2010 at 1:36 AM

Quoting DixieFlower:

They can still make life hellish for a bit even if you do this. I have a friend that declined both. The nurse informed her that the hospital was obligated to contact CPS (child protective services) if she refused. She still refused. She was discharged from the hospital on a Tuesday. On Wednesday she was contacted by CPS. Of course she'd done nothing wrong but they still made her jump through hoops. Two months later they closed the case. I couldn't take the chance of having a CPS case opened. Due to my job as soon as one was opened I'd be suspended without pay and would be under investigation by DIDS (Department of Intellectual Disability Services). Of course I was just wanting to refuse the eye ointment. We delay the Hep B and since I have malabsorption issues I feel in my situation it's beneficial for baby to recieve Vit K. Now if I didn't have those malabsorption issues I'd feel differently.

Quoting truealaskanmom:

They usually won't open a case over it because it is stupid and it is the parents right to refuse medication for their children.  My state is staunch about it and I didn't even get bothered at all.

Mrs.Salz
by on Dec. 7, 2010 at 9:34 AM

Quoting lilcntrymama:

Check out this site, I found a lot of useful information just by browsing around. It may have just what you are looking for.

http://www.givingbirthnaturally.com/newborn-vitamin-k.html

Thanks for the reference! I love that website and have gotten a lot of info off there before.

I'm a little worried about a CPS incident, but we have a very naturally minded hospital, as far as hospitals go, so I don't think the Vit K or eye drops will be a big deal (I just wanted to have info just in case).  I'm going to bring it up at my next midwife appointment next week.

Thanks ladies!

DixieFlower
by on Dec. 7, 2010 at 10:14 AM

Around here CPS tends to be a pill I guess they don't have enough work. I got a call from a caseworker the other day asking me if I'd recieved the information mailed to me about the newborn hearing screening that my newborn needed to have redone. I told her yes I have but I haven't had a chance to reschedule it. What I find interesting about the call is first of all Tennessee is very explicit in the fact that the hearing screening is not mandatory. Secondly, it's not that he failed the test at the hospital. For the first test he had too much mucus for a good read. The second test the examiner couldn't get the machine to work right.

Quoting truealaskanmom:
Quoting DixieFlower:

Quoting truealaskanmom:

They usually won't open a case over it because it is stupid and it is the parents right to refuse medication for their children.  My state is staunch about it and I didn't even get bothered at all.

Habibti812
by on Dec. 7, 2010 at 10:14 AM

I live in NJ and refused both. Ask your midwife.

WholeFoodsMom
by on Dec. 8, 2010 at 8:23 AM

I agree with all these ladies- it is your legal right as a parents to refuse any medical treatment for your child.  Maybe you can state religious reasons? In my area, that shuts Social Services right up. No one wants a lawsuit over religious discrimination.

Pandapanda
by on Dec. 8, 2010 at 6:22 PM
We went ahead and had the eye drops, but not the vitk shot. The nurse was more than happy not to give the shot, and explained beforehand what they're for and why we may/may not want them. She told us to consider that we have no HepB risk factors, so we didn't and still haven't gotten it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)