Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

It's a boy!!

Posted by on Dec. 8, 2010 at 2:04 PM
  • 6 Replies

I don't post on here often, but wanted to share my birth story with other natural mommas. My little blondie was born at 12:01am on his December 2nd due date. 7lbs, 13oz and 21inches long. From active labor to him arriving was about 6 1/2 hours. This is our first baby. Welcome to the world Coen Brodie Stenquist!

(The story is a bit jumbled sorry, hopefully you can piece together my thoughts).

My water started leaking Tuesday and I had an appt with my doc set for Wednesday morning at 9. It wasn't gushing and I wasn't having we just went about our day and I continued to watch it and take my temp. At my appt on Dec 1st, my doc informed me that my water had indeed broken, but that it apparently only broke the initial layer, so I still had some fluid in there. I was dilated to a 3.5 and 80% effaced with him at the -2 station.  He wanted me to go straight to the hospital to be induced because of the worry of infection. As I was still not having contractions, I opted to go home and wait it out a little. By 3:30 the doc called and about begged me to at least come in for fetal monitoring, even though he was still moving in my belly. We ended up going down because of family pressure, hahahaha.

Anyway, once there the nurse gave me my two options....pitocin or another inducing drug (the pill in the mouth one). We asked if we could wait till the doc got there to at least check me again (since under his orders he didn't even want me checked, thank goodness). So around 6 he came in to check me. Told me I was 4.5cm dilated, 100% effaced and Coen was at a 0 station. He was going to break my water, but there was nothing there to break. At that point (6:30) the contractions started for real. And wowza. Things went pretty quickly after that. By 10pm I was in transition and crawling the walls. I had a moment of weakness and asked the nurse for something to ease the pain, she offered stadol in my heplock. My AWESOME doula suggested I get checked before getting anything. Lo and behold I was already at 8.5cm 100% effaced and he was at the +2 station and  so I couldn't be given anything. The contractions were coming too quick and hard, as my body was convulsing into pushing though I couldn't control it. He did inject me with something to try and slow the contractions down since I wasn't dilated the whole way and the pushing was causing my cervix to bulge and swell. Apparently making it even harder to dilate that last little bit. I did feel a little lessening of the intensity and managed to dilate the rest of the way within 15-20 min.

His heart rate had dropped into the 60s and had been at that point for almost an hour. We tried every position possible to raise his heart rate on the monitor (the nurses and Brodie and my doula had me moving around and trying to get his heart rate back up. The doc ended up putting an internal fetal monitor on the little guy, it was getting a little scary to have his rate that low for going on 1 1/2hrs. He was sunny side up, and it was painful but he did manage to turn (with some help from the doc) face down. Since every push was causing his heart rate to lower...the doc had me pushing at every other one. And wow...that was torture. I pushed for about an hour and out came our little guy!
6 1/2 hours of active labor and managed to squeak by naturally! He is feeding like a champ, though we had some issues the first few days because he would latch and then pass out sleeping.

The doc did say the next day he was super impressed. He said that if he would have induced me, I would have had a similar labor...just with an epidural, and likely an episiotomy and the vaccuum or forceps. As I did not have any pain medication his options were limited, so all he could do was allow my body to do what it needed to.

by on Dec. 8, 2010 at 2:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
by on Dec. 8, 2010 at 2:52 PM

Thanks so much for posting.

by on Dec. 8, 2010 at 6:18 PM
Oh my, those cheeks are adorable! Thanks for sharing and congrats!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 8, 2010 at 11:45 PM


by on Dec. 8, 2010 at 11:57 PM

congrats on your new baby. 

by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 5:05 AM


by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 7:22 AM

Congratulations! He is beautiful!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)