Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what to do

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2011 at 11:02 PM
  • 9 Replies
I'm starting on school this summer to finally be on my way to becoming a CNM specializing in natural and home birthing . My mother was so excited when she heard I would finally be starting school (to become a nurse nonetheless ...she is an rn in a cardiovascular recovery unit)..now my mother knows my love and passion for the birthing process and is happy with my choice to midwife just not my passion for homebirthing. All I hear is how its dangerous and not necessary . How I would have died and taken my son with me had I myself had one.(his heart rate dropped to the low 40's after the epidural which was pushed upon me..no idea if mine did I was too worried for his well-being ). My mother is one of my best friends and she has me second guessing my career choice, my dream to give women their birth right . Ugh ..sorry I suppose I'm just venting :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 31, 2011 at 11:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Roadfamily6now
by on Feb. 1, 2011 at 12:28 AM

Stay true to your dreams!

Good Luck!

truealaskanmom
by on Feb. 1, 2011 at 1:03 AM

Do what makes you happy and kindly educate her along the way

doulala
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2011 at 2:01 AM

Why the nursing part?

Just wondering?

I have similar passions but dislike the medical-model (and the community that surrounds it) for the most part...

Momma2Imo
by on Feb. 1, 2011 at 2:20 AM
After what happened to all of those AMAZING midwives in Alabama and the new movements to make anything but medically certified persons unable to practice I'm in fear of NOT going through with getting my CNM . This in its own is downright sad to me. But honesty? I am also really not familiar with other ways to practice . My dream is to eventually have my own "practice" and travel to other countries and help there (was headed for the peace corps before DS was born so I'm hoping for retirement )

Are you a doula? Mind if I friend you and ask some questions?

Quoting doulala:

Why the nursing part?

Just wondering?

I have similar passions but dislike the medical-model (and the community that surrounds it) for the most part...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
doulala
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2011 at 2:24 AM

Not practicing, but sure!  ;-)
Tammy is practicing....  there are others in the group that are.
But I can try to help!

Have you read Monique and the Mango Rains?   
:-)
I need to re-re-read it, lol~   love the peace corps midwife in Africa!!!

And Baby Catcher is great, made me NOT want to be a MW, though, hehe.

You can do whatever you wish, but yes, legalities can affect your business and life.
I am torn between not having the stamina to survive in the medical world working "against" that model, and wanting to "be the one to make a difference for hospital birthers."

lol

DixieFlower
by on Feb. 1, 2011 at 6:42 PM

Follow your dreams. I would also print up some research on how the epi actually lowers mom and sometimes baby's BP. So odds are had a homebirth that DS's bp wouldn't have dropped because there wouldn't have been an epi. So I'd share that research with her.

Mrs.Salz
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2011 at 6:56 PM

www.givingbirthnaturally.com has lots of great hospital vs homebirth information and additional resources that you might find helpful, especially the "business of birthing" link on the left side.

Roadfamily6now
by on Feb. 2, 2011 at 1:10 AM

Quoting doulala:

Not practicing, but sure!  ;-)
Tammy is practicing....  there are others in the group that are.
But I can try to help!

Have you read Monique and the Mango Rains?   
I need to re-re-read it, lol~   love the peace corps midwife in Africa!!!

And Baby Catcher is great, made me NOT want to be a MW, though, hehe.

You can do whatever you wish, but yes, legalities can affect your business and life.
I am torn between not having the stamina to survive in the medical world working "against" that model, and wanting to "be the one to make a difference for hospital birthers."

lol

My dear friend just lent me that book and I am 1/2 way done. It's great but I'm really annoyed at the Peace Corps lady. I'm thinking she does NOTHING and I know more then she does but because I don't have a degree, I cannot be a Peace Corp Volunteer. :( Boooo!
But it's a great book!
I totally want to become a Midwife but I want to do my apprenticship in other countries to gain real old world knowledge that is unavailable here in the US.

You need to go where your heart leads you.

Tammy

5 VBACs and counting!

Doula, Childbirth Educator, Certified Lactation Counselor

"Birth is not an Emergency, it is simply an Emergence"
Jeannine Pavarti Baker

doulala
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2011 at 3:33 AM
Quoting Roadfamily6now:
Quoting doulala:

My dear friend just lent me that book and I am 1/2 way done. It's great but I'm really annoyed at the Peace Corps lady. I'm thinking she does NOTHING and I know more then she does but because I don't have a degree, I cannot be a Peace Corp Volunteer. :( Boooo!
But it's a great book!
I totally want to become a Midwife but I want to do my apprenticship in other countries to gain real old world knowledge that is unavailable here in the US.

You need to go where your heart leads you.

Yah, I know what you mean, she does assist and do more over time...  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)