Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Flu Alert!!! PIOG

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2011 at 4:44 AM
  • 9 Replies

My mother just announced that my dad had the flu!  Good thing my sister is my back up plan to take the kids if I have to go in.  But I know my mother.  She will try to visit.  So will my baby sister and her kids who all live in that house.  Now, they may not have it, but I am still afraid for my newborn's health that they will try to come visit and spread the germs from that house to mine.  Do I tell them to stay away and if so, how long should I make them stay away.  The sister I am having my kids stay with--her whole household just got over the flu.  Took a while but it did go thru everyone there...even with the flu shot, which we had.  I am sick to my stomach about the potential threat this is to my newborn son!  Advice please!

by on Feb. 4, 2011 at 4:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
truealaskanmom
by on Feb. 4, 2011 at 4:53 AM

Here is my thoughts you can avoid them and the baby and you could still get it or you can be around them now build some immunities you can pass on breastfeeding so that if you guys do get it it won't be as bad

M.kadester.J
by on Feb. 4, 2011 at 4:53 AM
Im not a big "oh no the flu person"... I have never had the shot... IMO if I knew someone had it and people living with that person wanted to visit id ask they take a shower before they come, and wash the hands before holding baby (maybe request not to touch babys hands) and not get all in babys face.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lundaylove
by on Feb. 4, 2011 at 7:26 AM

doesnt shock me they got it even after the shot. usually that happens. ive never had a shot and never had the flu. hubby gets it every year and he gets the shots (military)

But i would just make sure they follow proper good hygiene and wash before coming near baby,if you are breastfeeding with a healthy proper diet baby will get immunities from you.

Pandapanda
by on Feb. 4, 2011 at 11:11 AM
If you're bfing, include some additional vitamin C and a vitamin in your diet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DixieFlower
by on Feb. 4, 2011 at 10:31 PM

One of the best ways to stop the flu from spreading is good handwashing. I know this might sound odd but the length of time that should be used for a good handwashing is equivelent to singing the "Happy Birthday" song once.  That's what is encouraged where I work. Handwashing, Handwashing, and more handwashing. 

Roadfamily6now
by on Feb. 5, 2011 at 2:38 AM

If they are SICK, they should stay home. If they are too sick for school/work, they are too sick to visit you and the baby.

I also highly recommend the hand washing!! If they do come over, they MUST wash their hands before holding the baby.  No coughing allowed!! Get lots of klenex and hand sanitizer.

I'm not huge on the whole, "sanitizer" thing but your baby is BRAND NEW and will be being exposed to germs for the first time.  If your family and friends are sick, there is no sense starting this baby off early with a home full of sick germs.

DixieFlower
by on Feb. 5, 2011 at 1:30 PM

Definately agree here. My nephew (who was 11 at the time) handed out face masks to people as they came in the door of our home to visit DS1 after he was born. This is something he decided to do to protect his new lil bro. (they are cousins but he considers my children his siblings)

Quoting Roadfamily6now:

If they are SICK, they should stay home. If they are too sick for school/work, they are too sick to visit you and the baby.

I also highly recommend the hand washing!! If they do come over, they MUST wash their hands before holding the baby.  No coughing allowed!! Get lots of klenex and hand sanitizer.

I'm not huge on the whole, "sanitizer" thing but your baby is BRAND NEW and will be being exposed to germs for the first time.  If your family and friends are sick, there is no sense starting this baby off early with a home full of sick germs.

Kristin_Allen
by on Feb. 6, 2011 at 10:04 AM

Did you have the flu shot when you were pregnant? The CDC says that this reduces the threat to a newborn by at least 40%.

Roadfamily6now
by on Feb. 6, 2011 at 8:08 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)