Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

waterbirth advice

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2011 at 3:24 PM
  • 12 Replies

I'll be having a waterbirth any day now and I would really appreciate some help! 

In your experience, how long should I wait until getting into the tub (active labor, transition, etc.)?  My midwife said I need to be at least 5 cms so that  labor doesn't slow down from the water, but I'm not sure if I should go in asap or wait as long as possible so I can keep moving around more?

By the time I'm ready to go into the water, will I need to continue moving around or will I be ready to just relax by then? 

I've never seen a waterbirth before and don't know anyone who has done it; the videos I have seen online don't show very much of labor, only delivery... so I'm just trying to figure out a rough idea of how this is supposed to work, knowing it will depend partly on what my body is saying.

by on Feb. 5, 2011 at 3:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
truealaskanmom
by on Feb. 5, 2011 at 4:37 PM

I was in the water from 3cm on and it didn't slow my labor at all if helped pick it up some since it relaxed me so I wasnt hindering the contractions, I was also in the tub at the very very beginning.  Get in when you feel like it. 

Roadfamily6now
by on Feb. 5, 2011 at 10:47 PM

I agree. Get in when you feel like it. Since you will be at home. Spend most of the time in early labor staying busy or napping. Don't get in the water until you NEED relief from the contractions.

mostlymaydays
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2011 at 11:14 PM
I've have mixed feelings- with my first, I waited until I NEEDED it. It was the ace up my sleeve, my "epidural". I tried that with my last one, waiting until I needed it. But I was stuck at 5cm and they thought it might slow me down. After a couple hours, miserable like that, they said-what the heck, get in and we'll re-assess in an hour, and darned if I didn't get to 9cm like magic. I am SO SORRY I waited! I think thats what I needed to relax and get my contractions to be more productive. Next time I'll stay in all day. So what if contractions slow down, that baby aint gonna stay in.
hurleydoll18
by on Feb. 5, 2011 at 11:17 PM

I haven't had a waterbirth yet but, from what I have read, just follow what your body is telling you.  It seems like what a lot of natural laboring mothers do is instinctual.  Sorry if that isn't very helpful lol.  Congrats!

mostlymaydays
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2011 at 11:19 PM
Wanted to add, while I read in your question about "keeping moving"- one of the best things about laboring in the water was being able to get in positions in the water that were uncomfortable on land, namely squatting. I could feel the world opening up there! I walked, rocked in the birthing ball (which is also like a squat), sat on the toilet (squat) and ah, yes, the birthing tub. It felt so good I was afraid the lessening of pain meant the lessening of progress, but NOPE, was pleasantly the opposite.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kemmerer411
by on Feb. 6, 2011 at 8:24 AM
I got in the tub at 4 cm at 5:20am and I had my son at 6:23am. So it sped up my labor IMO. My only advice is stay hydrated and don't let the water be TOO hot. : ) good luck!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WholeFoodsMom
by on Feb. 6, 2011 at 12:04 PM

I'm looking at a water birth (my first) any day now, too, so here's a BUMP!

sassfire
by on Feb. 6, 2011 at 12:37 PM

I got in right away. I had invisioned getting in and out of the tub but never left once I got in. Check your kit and make sure you have everything you need to fill the tub. You are suppose to have a tube a hose to fill the tub. We didn't have it and filled our tub one at at a time. 

Very exciting. Happy birthing.

Mrs.Salz
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2011 at 12:45 PM

Thank you ladies :)

So while you were in the tub, were you mostly in a relaxed position?  Maybe squatting, leaning against the side, etc.?

Kristin_Allen
by on Feb. 6, 2011 at 2:21 PM

Maybe you could get in the shower instead until you are ready for the tub? 

I can't have a water birth since my hospital doesn't do them (and my medical conditions won't allow me to do a home birth). So I will be walking, be in the shower, sitting on my birth ball or toilet, squatting, kneeling, etc...

That is, anyway, after I give up and go to the hospital after laboring at home as long as I feel comfortable doing so (I don't want to wait too long, but I still want to be able to eat, be in a familiar setting, etc).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)