Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

I'll be having a waterbirth any day now and I would really appreciate some help! 

In your experience, how long should I wait until getting into the tub (active labor, transition, etc.)?  My midwife said I need to be at least 5 cms so that  labor doesn't slow down from the water, but I'm not sure if I should go in asap or wait as long as possible so I can keep moving around more?

By the time I'm ready to go into the water, will I need to continue moving around or will I be ready to just relax by then? 

I've never seen a waterbirth before and don't know anyone who has done it; the videos I have seen online don't show very much of labor, only delivery... so I'm just trying to figure out a rough idea of how this is supposed to work, knowing it will depend partly on what my body is saying.

by on Feb. 5, 2011 at 3:24 PM
Replies (11-12):
Pandapanda
by on Feb. 6, 2011 at 3:43 PM
When I was in the tub, I was reclined back and floating. It felt good at the time, but I wish I had changed positions so that I could have helped my son into a better position for birthing. He had mild shoulder dystocia, which could have been prevented by moving positions every now and then.

I got in at 8cms.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
snakesNsnails
by on Feb. 8, 2011 at 10:22 PM

i labored in the tub during my UC, and i had no idea how dilated i was..i just got in there when i felt ready..i do remember the contractions getting much closer and feeling stronger after being in there for a short time..i labored in there until about transition..then moved to the bed for delivery.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)