Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

What happens after transition?

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2011 at 8:17 PM
  • 8 Replies

So how do you know when transition is over and what happens next? is the baby coming out at that point?! I just realized today I'm not sure what happens. I did baby #2 natural and when i was at a 9 my midwife broke my water and the baby flew out in 7 minutes it was insane and i tore top and bottom. Now I know better to breathe the baby down etc. Also, can anyone tell me how long it took them to breathe the baby down?! Thanks for the info gals!

by on Feb. 5, 2011 at 8:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Roadfamily6now
by on Feb. 5, 2011 at 10:35 PM

Usually, after trasition is pushing but some women actually take a break up to a few hours between 9-10cm and actual pushing.

I'm of the "leave it be" kind of birth. Why would a midwife break your water at 9cm? I have seen babies fly out and tear mom just like what happened to you. It does not have to be that way.

It can take hours to push a baby out, it can take 1 push. You really never know how long it takes but based upon your last birth, I'd veture to guess you're next one will be pretty quick too.

Don't let anyone break your water (unless medically needed). It sounds like you might benefit from a really HANDS OFF midwife that will allow you to follow your body.

strawberryLVR
by on Feb. 5, 2011 at 11:07 PM

Quoting Roadfamily6now:

Usually, after trasition is pushing but some women actually take a break up to a few hours between 9-10cm and actual pushing.

I'm of the "leave it be" kind of birth. Why would a midwife break your water at 9cm? I have seen babies fly out and tear mom just like what happened to you. It does not have to be that way.

It can take hours to push a baby out, it can take 1 push. You really never know how long it takes but based upon your last birth, I'd veture to guess you're next one will be pretty quick too.

Don't let anyone break your water (unless medically needed). It sounds like you might benefit from a really HANDS OFF midwife that will allow you to follow your body.

Yes, this time there will be NO water breaking! {artificially} I just wonder how long it will take to get baby down once i'm 10 cm. I'm planning on this labor being better then the last haha. I'm still learning a lot. Going to have a doula for sure and I do not believe in purple pushing. I know the baby will come down and out and I will know what i need to do and when.

truealaskanmom
by on Feb. 6, 2011 at 12:07 AM

It will depend obviously pushing comes next but you don't push until the urge hits, and I believe usually an hour after you get complete dilation your body has a reflex (cannot remember the name) but it will push the baby out for you some women don't do anything they just relax and breath and baby comes when your body pushes it out. I am too impatient for that and cannot fight the urge to push but like I said some don't get the urge. 

Roadfamily6now
by on Feb. 6, 2011 at 1:54 AM

yeah, like Autumn said, your uterus will push and you just have to let go and let it happen. Usually that means pushing WITH your body and not fighting it.

I'm impatient too and have a really short Stage 2 of labor (pushing) but with my 6th baby, I wanted it to be slower because this baby was going to be born unassisted and I needed to have it slow and easy to prevent tearing! (unplanned unassisted). I did NOT actively push but my uterus pushed and pushed. I just allowed it to happen. When my husband told me the head was crowning I just blew out a lot of little breaths, trying to slow things down. I'm not 100% sure it worked but it seemed to as baby's head eased on out and I did not tear. Unmolded head =15in circ. No time to mold as baby was born in a 1 hour labor.

Anyway...... I like to ramble..... :)

Point is,  you dont have to push. Just wait. Wait until your body tells you to do something and listen to it.  Find a midwife that will give you that.

kemmerer411
by on Feb. 6, 2011 at 8:21 AM
This is what happened to me! I had no urge to push... but I felt my body litterally pushing the baby out! I said "I'm pushing, but... I'm NOT pushing" the midwife said "uhoh" and rushed to get gloves on and my husband said "babe he's right there" two minutes later (NO pushing from me) and he was born. My body did ALL the work. It was a wonderful point in my labor!

Quoting truealaskanmom:

It will depend obviously pushing comes next but you don't push until the urge hits, and I believe usually an hour after you get complete dilation your body has a reflex (cannot remember the name) but it will push the baby out for you some women don't do anything they just relax and breath and baby comes when your body pushes it out. I am too impatient for that and cannot fight the urge to push but like I said some don't get the urge. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kristin_Allen
by on Feb. 6, 2011 at 6:36 PM

Besides, there's nothing wrong with your baby being born in the "caul" (water sack). It may make it a bit more difficult since you are pushing out a bubble with a baby inside...

strawberryLVR
by on Feb. 7, 2011 at 12:27 AM

Quoting Kristin_Allen:

Besides, there's nothing wrong with your baby being born in the "caul" (water sack). It may make it a bit more difficult since you are pushing out a bubble with a baby inside...

I've heard that this type of birth is actually MORE comfortable cuz it's all padded etc haha. I really woner what that would be like!

Roadfamily6now
by on Feb. 7, 2011 at 2:20 AM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN