Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

If my water breaks...

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2011 at 5:12 PM
  • 23 Replies

Before I am at the hospital, should I go straight there like my doctor and sister are saying?

Or should I wait for regular strong contractions that are 3-5 minutes apart?

I mean, obviously if it breaks now I would go in, but once I reach 38+ weeks, then what?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Feb. 6, 2011 at 5:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
M.kadester.J
by on Feb. 6, 2011 at 5:14 PM
No need to rush, just dont insert anything into the vagina.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pandapanda
by on Feb. 6, 2011 at 5:16 PM
Wait at home. Water breaking is not an emergency at full term. In fact, by not going to the hospital early in labor you will cut your chances of a slow labor, pitocin use, and infections down by a LOT.

Just take it easy, don't rush. Birth isn't an emergency!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kristin_Allen
by on Feb. 6, 2011 at 5:27 PM

See I keep thinking if my water breaks and I go straight in, 

The doctors will shove their fingers inside me, then if I don't progress the way they want me to they'll try to give me pitocin. Which if I allow will cause unnaturally strong contractions. Which may make me more prone to accepting pain medication. And taking pain meds can lower my baby's heart rate. Which makes the doctor scream "fetal distress" and want to do a c-section. 

Not that ALL of those things are guaranteed to happen if I go in right away after my water breaks, but I really don;t want any of that...

truealaskanmom
by on Feb. 6, 2011 at 5:34 PM

Quoting Kristin_Allen:

See I keep thinking if my water breaks and I go straight in, 

The doctors will shove their fingers inside me, then if I don't progress the way they want me to they'll try to give me pitocin. Which if I allow will cause unnaturally strong contractions. Which may make me more prone to accepting pain medication. And taking pain meds can lower my baby's heart rate. Which makes the doctor scream "fetal distress" and want to do a c-section. 

Not that ALL of those things are guaranteed to happen if I go in right away after my water breaks, but I really don;t want any of that...

honestly that is pretty much what will happen, stay home until you are contracting 2 mins a part and feel the need to go in your water breaking is not an emergency, women can go days to weeks with a broken water and be just fine so long as nothing goes in there, and take vitamin c, drink lots of water and wait it out.

Join us in the Natural Birth Group!

Pandapanda
by on Feb. 6, 2011 at 5:42 PM
Do you have a history of waters breaking to begin labor? Mine didn't break til I began pushing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kristin_Allen
by on Feb. 6, 2011 at 5:49 PM

This is my first, so I don't know what to expect :)

MyIslandGirls
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2011 at 5:50 PM

I'm with Pandapanda.... Only with my 1st pregnancy did my waters break to start my labour... with my 2nd  it was broken for me at 6cm (to hurry things along) and with my 3rd it didn't break until my son was born and hit the bed below me.

If it breaks and your contractions aren't speedy (I go from nada to fullblow, ready to go contractions once water is broken) I'd just have a shower, a glass of wine maybe  and something to eat. if you have a yoga ball (aka a birth ball) I'd sit on it and swivle around, work the baby into the pelvis. have hubby rub my back, just hang out and wait.it will depend of course how close you are to where you will be birthing as well. if you are father away I'd go in when contractions are 8-5 minutes apart.. so that you aren't pushing while on your way to the birthing space (trust me! it sucks) if you are like 10 minutes away or closer you can afford to wait until contractions are 2-5 minutes apart.

Good luck!

Pandapanda
by on Feb. 6, 2011 at 5:56 PM
Every woman is different, but I wouldn't be waiting for your water to break. ;) my advice: when you go over 38 weeks start going to bed early. My midwife said over 95% of her first time mothers begin labor around 2-3am with mild contractions. Surprise surprise that's how my labor started.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kristin_Allen
by on Feb. 6, 2011 at 6:22 PM

Depending on traffic, the hospital of choice is about 15-20 minutes away. But the closest hospital is like 5 mins away if it comes down to an emergency... 

Is it true I can't be in the tub after my water breaks? I thought that was the point of water birthing... I just wanted to know so if I'm still at home I can opt for tub or shower...

Pandapanda
by on Feb. 6, 2011 at 6:30 PM
You could bathe, but I wouldn't. Bathtubs harbor a lot of bacteria, so unless you or your SO scrub the tub right before you get in it may not be best. An upright position with warm water on your lower back will keep things going. Unless you have a super deep tub, the water wouldn't do much for you anyway.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)