Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Epidural Without Guilt

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2011 at 5:13 PM
  • 10 Replies
I was at Barnes and Noble in my favorite section yesterday and came across a book with the title "Epidural Without Guilt". I knew i'd regret opening it! I tabbed through and saw so much crap. I've never seen so much BS in one spot in my life (that's saying a lot, considering how much I've dealt with my in-laws!)

The doctor that wrote it tried disproving everything I know to be factual and proven through decades of research..
"Epidurals do not slow labor" "scare tactics by anti-technology women to make epidurals seem dangerous"

Ugh. Anyone have a book they loathe?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 6, 2011 at 5:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
M.kadester.J
by on Feb. 6, 2011 at 5:15 PM
Good lord... that sounds awful.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kristin_Allen
by on Feb. 6, 2011 at 5:33 PM

Lol, justification and lies at their worst... 

DixieFlower
by on Feb. 6, 2011 at 8:20 PM

Ok I know my opinion might not be popular on this. However, epidurals do have their place. Now I don't buy the whole epi doesn't stall or slow labor since I have experienced that. However, there are times that an epidural is what mom needed to relax enough to have baby. Yes, she should have stayed out of the hospital if she was having an uncomplicated labor. However, that is not what happens. If it came down to mom getting an epi in order to avoid a C section I would hope that she would be able to not feel guilt about it. I am going through my own issues with my last birth about requesting one. I was already 8cm and I get upset often about making that choice. In a semi perfect world I would have been able to labor at home until I felt the absolute need to go to the hospital. In a perfect world I wouldn't have risked out with two CPM's for a homebirth.  However, I don't live in a perfect world. I stayed at my home as long as I could. My labor was causing anxiety for others in the home so I needed to go somewhere and at 9pm those options are very limited.

Roadfamily6now
by on Feb. 6, 2011 at 10:46 PM

I agree that it can go both ways.

As a Doula, I have witnessed an epidural stall labor and I have witnessed an exhausted mom get the epidural and progress from 5cm to pushing in just 3 hours....... etc.

But to insinuate, especially through books written by an OB, that Epidurals are not dangerous and do not cause a cascade of interventions is just plain wrong! Epidural usage in this country is between 80 - 90%!! That's outragous!  We have no idea what long term effects those epidurals have on babies either. We are just now learning that the medication actually DOES reach the baby.  I can only imagine what research will show in a few more years.

sassfire
by on Feb. 6, 2011 at 11:40 PM

Uhg, people think women who believe in home births are anti-technology and anti medical advances. 

truealaskanmom
by on Feb. 6, 2011 at 11:46 PM

Quoting Roadfamily6now:

As a Doula, I have witnessed an epidural stall labor and I have witnessed an exhausted mom get the epidural and progress from 5cm to pushing in just 3 hours....... etc.

But to insinuate, especially through books written by an OB, that Epidurals are not dangerous and do not cause a cascade of interventions is just plain wrong! Epidural usage in this country is between 80 - 90%!! That's outragous!  We have no idea what long term effects those epidurals have on babies either. We are just now learning that the medication actually DOES reach the baby.  I can only imagine what research will show in a few more years.

I personally believe that high epidural use and pitocin use it a main cause in the rise of autism if you look at the numbers they do correlate. 

Join us in the Natural Birth Group!

doulala
by Gold Member on Feb. 7, 2011 at 12:31 PM

frustrated

outstandingLove
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2011 at 12:36 PM

Quoting truealaskanmom:

Quoting Roadfamily6now:

I personally believe that high epidural use and pitocin use it a main cause in the rise of autism if you look at the numbers they do correlate. 

My brother has ASD and my mom never had an epidural.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
This is Bunny. Copy and paste him into your signature to help him gain world domination. 

truealaskanmom
by on Feb. 7, 2011 at 1:30 PM

Quoting outstandingLove:

Quoting truealaskanmom:

Quoting Roadfamily6now:

My brother has ASD and my mom never had an epidural.

I don't mean in all cases because some is just not preventable but the drastic rise corelates with the drastic rise in these in labor KWIM

Roadfamily6now
by on Feb. 7, 2011 at 2:13 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)