Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Young Mama Wants Natural Birth in a Hospital Advice Please?! :)

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2011 at 6:11 AM
  • 12 Replies

I am posting for my little sister who is 20 and having her first baby. She really wants an all natural hospital birth. She's afraid of a home birth at this point.

What advice can you give her. 

-What to put in her birth plan?

- What foods are good during labor?

-What are necessary situations for interventions?

Those type things... Our local hospital is known for bullying people into unnecessary measures! 

Thanks EVERYONE! I plan on making her a little book for her baby shower with all your tips

by on Feb. 8, 2011 at 6:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Gemska
by on Feb. 8, 2011 at 6:23 AM

Probably the best idea for her would be to get a doula.

Kwald2508
by on Feb. 8, 2011 at 6:27 AM

She does have an old family friend who used to be a Midwife who still teaches the bradley method who is going to be her coach and advocate during the birth.

Quoting Gemska:

Probably the best idea for her would be to get a doula.

RugersMommy06
by on Feb. 8, 2011 at 6:45 AM

The hospital might not let her eat because of policy. I say stay home as long as possible, then go in with a resolve not to back down (unless true emergency) She can put things about monitoring, staying mobile, using a ball or shower or tub, no/limited internal checks, nursing baby right after, delayed cord cutting. She just needs to know what she wants.

DixieFlower
by on Feb. 8, 2011 at 11:30 AM

They might try to tell her she can't eat however she still can. They tried that with me during my last birth. I still ate the things I felt like eating.  Now granted by the time I did go to the hospital I was 6cm and didn't feel like eating much of anything.

Quoting RugersMommy06:

The hospital might not let her eat because of policy. I say stay home as long as possible, then go in with a resolve not to back down (unless true emergency) She can put things about monitoring, staying mobile, using a ball or shower or tub, no/limited internal checks, nursing baby right after, delayed cord cutting. She just needs to know what she wants.

doulala
by on Feb. 8, 2011 at 1:30 PM

I am wondering some questions, I replied to the PIOG...

;-)

Why does she want a natural birth?
Why a hospital birth?
Why not home birth?
Or a birth center?
What is she doing to prepare?
Is she using an OB or Midwife and did she hire them based on interview/good fit?

What to do will depend on her, her preferences...

Roadfamily6now
by on Feb. 8, 2011 at 2:56 PM

Agreed with Doulala.

Is just she doing what everyone else does? What does she REALLY want?

Kwald2508
by on Feb. 8, 2011 at 3:28 PM

She has done a lot of research and feels that the best thing for the baby is to not have interventions. She knows my experience at 19 with DD in a birthing center and would ultimately like to do that but is unable to because she lives 2+ hours away from any birthing centers. She has done everything in her power to do the most natural route up to this point with her CNM/NP so I think she is doing this because it's what she wants. I responded to to Doulala's question in the pregnancy group.

Quoting Roadfamily6now:

Agreed with Doulala.

Is just she doing what everyone else does? What does she REALLY want?

Roadfamily6now
by on Feb. 8, 2011 at 4:50 PM

Cool, i think she is on the right track then. What she is going to need based on your description of the hospital is to stay at home as long as possible and have really great support from you and her friends and family

natashaangel
by on Feb. 8, 2011 at 9:43 PM

I've had three natural hospital births and about to do my fourth. I don't go in until the last minute. Do most of it at home. If you go to early they turn you away anyway. She needs to stick to her guns and when they ask if she wants something like pain meds or something to speed things up tell them no. most the time labor never goe according to plan and if you try to control the uncontrolable you only get disappointment and frustration. Tell her not to worry about it and let i just happen. Tell the nurse to shove it if you have to if they keep asking if you want something. O and do not eat anything with nuts in it. lol.

doulala
by on Feb. 8, 2011 at 11:03 PM

Sounds like she knows what she wants and is preparing externally.   But how about her confidence?
She might try Birthing From Within to help her feel strong and empowered.

With the will, the confidence, the strategy, and the support, she can have a wonderful experience.

:-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)