Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Intervention of the Day-hospital gowns

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:39 AM
  • 39 Replies
I know it sounds odd, but I think hospital gowns are an intervention because they aren't what we would chose on our own. Lets talk about it here. I personally think they are open backed to get you on your back and under their control. They also put you in a subservient role to the physician/staff. I read a study about how doctors view patients in the gowns as stupid and beneath them but once they are in their own clothes their view changes.

Join us in the Natural Birth Group!

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Caroline2010
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:42 AM

hmm i never thought about that! but now i agree with u! lol! i hated that thing! have u seen some people make them in pretty colors and all fancy and stuff! it makes me laugh!

Roadfamily6now
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:18 AM

Oh, this is so true! I challenge any mom to wear her own clothes while in the hospital and she just how much more empowered she feels!

It really works. I  will NEVER wear a gown again, ever.

EndellionMomma
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:49 AM
I was naked for my birth and I didn't bother with a gown till after I had her and I had showered. The nurses asked if i'd brought a night gown but I had forgot it so they gave me a nursing gown. They even admitted that the gowns were ugly lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pandapanda
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:54 AM
I don't consider them an intervention. A hospital gown isn't endangering me or my baby, not going to risk our lives.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Roadfamily6now
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:59 AM

BUMP!

doulala
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:03 AM
Quoting Pandapanda:

I don't consider them an intervention. A hospital gown isn't endangering me or my baby, not going to risk our lives.

I think it is an intervention in a way.
Mainly a psychological one, though.
Which is significant!

It has to do with the environment and the yielding of what we'd normally-naturally do in labor for what is more convenient (accessible) for staff.

And I have heard women describe this as a problem because it sends a negative association into the mom's subconscious as she is now a Patient in the sick house.
Rather than a normal, healthy woman in a normal, healthy Life Function, birthing her baby.
:-)

RugersMommy06
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:52 AM

I wore one with my 1st baby, didn't have time to put one on the 2nd time. For me, I didn't consider it an intervention. I had the gown on plus one on backwards so everything was covered. It was quite roomy & with contractions back to back, I really didn't care about what I was wearing. I think it has to do with your attitude too, I can speak my mind about what I want during birth wearing a gown, a bathing suit or nothing at all. It's going to be my way.

snakesNsnails
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:11 PM

this is very interesting!!  i cant imagine, now, after birthing at home, trying to birth in one of those stupid gowns!  gosh i hate hospitals!

Roadfamily6now
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:14 PM

BUMP!

4meyerkidsmommy
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:15 PM

I always buy a gownie. (plus they are much cuter!)

They are the best! and I take a robe for the walk too!

http://www.trendytummymaternity.com/maternity-hospital-gowns.html?gclid=CO-inbP_-6YCFcpQ2godVEtWDQ

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)