Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Intervention of the Day- fetal monitoring

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:41 AM
  • 12 Replies
Let's talk about monitoring the baby while laboring. Is it good, bad or ugly? List sources and opinions here. I think they are an ugly thing that cause too many issues, and am so annoyed at how people think they are so important if you look at all the talks going on about the one born every minute show people are so monitor happy it is awful

Join us in the Natural Birth Group!

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
truealaskanmom
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:56 PM

BUMP!

TattooMommy143
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:09 PM

BUMP!

Roadfamily6now
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:33 PM

Constant fetal monitoring has been proven (by the very man that invented it) to be unreliable and non-beneficial. Why we still use it is beyond me.

I would agree to intermitent monitoring only.

DixieFlower
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 12:12 PM

For me the 10 min strip they want to do every hour is my downfall. Whenever I feel that I can't handle the pain anymore it has always been while I'm on my back as they try to get the EFM's on and get a strip.

truealaskanmom
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 2:37 PM
I think that it cant monitor while in good positions is what makes it such a huge piece of crap
Roadfamily6now
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 3:33 PM

Quoting DixieFlower:

For me the 10 min strip they want to do every hour is my downfall. Whenever I feel that I can't handle the pain anymore it has always been while I'm on my back as they try to get the EFM's on and get a strip.

Exaclty!

So, next time if they need to monitor the baby, they need to use a doppler. :) But we all know nurses cannot do that. They are legally requird to get a "STRIP". In case you sue.

Tammy

mom to 4, wife to Doug, Surrogate mom to 3

VBACed 5 babies so far!

truealaskanmom
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 3:58 PM
Quoting Roadfamily6now:

Quoting DixieFlower:

Exaclty!

So, next time if they need to monitor the baby, they need to use a doppler. :) But we all know nurses cannot do that. They are legally requird to get a "STRIP". In case you sue.

seriously? That is sooooo stupid. I vaguely remember them putting it on me and Dr. E telling them to take it off.
mrschelley1219
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 4:02 PM
I asked my ob about this yesterday and he told me he has to do it for liability issues. I'm not sure what to do now. I want to labor in other positions. I may just get up and move around and tick everyone off. LOL.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
truealaskanmom
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 4:05 PM
Quoting mrschelley1219:

I asked my ob about this yesterday and he told me he has to do it for liability issues. I'm not sure what to do now. I want to labor in other positions. I may just get up and move around and tick everyone off. LOL.
It is pretty simple you have the right to refuse and they cannot do anything about it. Say no tell them they can use a doppler every half hour but that is it. That is a better form anyways
Roadfamily6now
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Quoting truealaskanmom:
Quoting Roadfamily6now:
Quoting DixieFlower:

Exaclty!

seriously? That is sooooo stupid. I vaguely remember them putting it on me and Dr. E telling them to take it off.

That's because Dr. E Rules!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)