Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Did anyone watch?

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:45 AM
  • 17 Replies
Last week Lifetime's new show One Born Every Minute really pissed me off. However, I am a total sucker for shows about babies being born and watched again this week.

Did anyone watch this one? I don't understand what happened with the mom whose baby had the issue with the shoulders. Is that a normal birth complication that can just happen? I'm not sure on what interventions she had. It didn't seem like she had an epi, but I think there was pitocin, definitely oxygen. I guess in general I wondered if anyone knew any more about it. They said that the baby's head would come down when she pushed and then would go back up and then the baby's shoulders were stuck? IDK, I'm pregnant with my 4th and had never heard of this.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 12:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BabyBoyBlue
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:09 AM

I dont know because my midwife delivers huge babies(like 10-11lb) babies all the time and never ends up with babies with broken shoulders. My youngest son was 9 lbs and I pushed for a few hours and he came out perfect. So I dont know what happened to that ladies baby. Maybe the doctor "pulled" him out and thats what hurt him....

Oh, now I think we are talking about different episodes...

BabyBoyBlue
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:11 AM

But when pushing I always thought that the baby will slide back up a little between pushes. My babies always did. It look a few pushes to get my second sons shoulders out too, they didnt just slide out. Plus, he crowned for a good 15-20 min. It was awful.His head was just stuck there. Ugh.

Roadfamily6now
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:11 AM

Are you talking about shoulder dystocia? It's a common problem for OB's and those care provider that work in hospital settings. not so much a problem for homebirthing mommas.

it does not even have to be a big baby either. Baby was in a tricky position, mom was coached to push, doctors were in a hurry.......

{sigh}

JMmama
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:22 AM
Yes! I think that was it. I was having trouble catching the second word they were saying. No one was saying anything about the size of the baby and she ended up being 7lbs even so she really wasn't big.

They were saying baby's head would come down and then go clear back in. Then, they said her head came out and shoulders were stuck. They ended up kind of twisting the baby put. IDK, it looked awful.

She was, naturally, on her back. Is this something a different birthing position would have helped?

Quoting Roadfamily6now:

Are you talking about shoulder dystocia? It's a common problem for OB's and those care provider that work in hospital settings. not so much a problem for homebirthing mommas.

it does not even have to be a big baby either. Baby was in a tricky position, mom was coached to push, doctors were in a hurry.......

{sigh}

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
doulala
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:58 AM

Yes, lying on the back is not a good position for labor.
Staying off your back can help alleviate many complications.  
Shoulder dystocia can be helped by mom's positioning, too~

I didn't see the show, but it sounds like another episode that is going to irritate me!

;- /

RugersMommy06
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:31 AM

bump for later, I've got it on dvr....even though I said I wasn't going to watch it again. lol

bobnliz
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:17 AM

I found this on T.V. last night by chance.  I wondered too if her being in an upright position would have helped.  I don't know much about natural birthing, though. 

Roadfamily6now
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:19 PM

Any position would have been better then on her back. And it freaks me out to see ANYONE twisting a baby's neck! Yikes.

truealaskanmom
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:44 PM
Quoting bobnliz:

I found this on T.V. last night by chance.  I wondered too if her being in an upright position would have helped.  I don't know much about natural birthing, though. 

I watched on purpose and at the very least they should have put her on her side to push the baby was posterior that is why the turtling kept happening and the shoulders were stuck because she was soooooo flat backed, side lying or on all fours would have been fine for her and she wouldn't have had any problem also all that forced pushing was BS they needed to let her baby and body turn they way they needed to in their own time.

Join us in the Natural Birth Group!

4meyerkidsmommy
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:49 PM

I agree, none of my Ob's would have ever let me lay on my back...it causes complications and when my son was born nose up, the doc made sure my position was helpful

Quoting Roadfamily6now:

Any position would have been better then on her back. And it freaks me out to see ANYONE twisting a baby's neck! Yikes.

Due in September? Join us in September 2011 Babies!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)