Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Doula or midwife ?

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:38 PM
  • 7 Replies
So my husband is military and since we live in Illinois their alot of crazy laws and we have military insurance I was wondering what you guys think should I try and get a referral to get a midwife or just deal with the obs since I will be delivering at a hospital anyway that provides free doulas on request??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Roadfamily6now
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:40 PM

How is your local hospital for Natural birth?
The military will pay for free standing birth centers, I'd personally look into that.

Afwife15
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:48 PM
We live in illinois either they don't have them Or they are few and far between, the hospital is pretty good about natural birthing especially since they provide a free doula for that purpose
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hillybean1985
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:07 PM

I have had two pregnancys with midwife care and loved the indivivdual treatment i recieved, They were caring and focused on me and much more present in my laboring than any OB experience I have heard about from friends and family. My mother was present in the room during my first birth and after having 3 births of her own with an OB she was shocked by the care and involvment of my midwife and now openly preaches if she had to do it again she would only use a midwife.

MyIslandGirls
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:17 PM

I have never had a doula.. so no personal experiance there.

but I've had 2 OB attended births and 1 midwife attended birth.. out of the 3.. i love the midwife attended one the most. She was kind, gentle very on the pulse of  what i wanted out of  my birth.

I would call a few local midwives and ask to interview them.. and see if you like any of them.

strawberryLVR
by Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:16 PM

my midwife works for the hospital here, so i have both! Been interviewing doulas all week :) I love my midwife she's so great and my ins pays for it cuz it's through the hosp :)

Roadfamily6now
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 12:18 AM

BUMP!

rachelrothchild
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 9:38 AM

I've heard doulas can be helpful, but we decided to go with a midwife and stay away from OBs.  I like that they don't do excessive vaginal exams (none yet) or recommend multiple ultrasounds. They let you make your own decisions.  Doctors tell you what you need to do.  Also, we want to stay out of the hospital, so we are having a homebirth.  The MN Dept of Health likes to steal baby DNA at first blood draw.  If you end up with an OB in a hospital with the doula, make sure you have a birth plan and insist they stick with it or else. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)