Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Intervention of the Day- IV/heplock/saline lock

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:59 PM
  • 8 Replies
A lot of people think these are a requirement or a normal part of labor. I find them dangerous and unnecessary. That being said I did have a heplock but it was one of my compromises to get my birth mostly my way. I really don't like how easy it is to put stuff into you without consent and it happens all the time.

Join us in the Natural Birth Group!

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Roadfamily6now
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:39 PM

You're not kidding!

So, long story short...... I had a really fast birth with my 3rd. 2 hours 22 minutes from start to finish. 45 minutes of it was in the hospital. I never got my "required" IV and so when it came time for the placenta to come out, it was taking a little longer then "normal". At this point my nurse said, that I did not get any pitocin because I did not have an IV and that is why it was taking longer. (by the way, longer to them was 10 minutes)   She told me it was standard procedure to give EVERYONE pitocin upon admittance to L&D. Great.

So, It was at that point I learned more about Pitocin and why it's also not a great idea to allow the staff unobstructed acess to your veins!

I also understand that in order to help soothe the staff, we must sometimes compromise on things and having a Hep/Lock or Saine/Lock in can help. We get what we want, they get what they want.

But I also agree with Autumn that they shoud NOT be routine. Food/Water should always be offered first.

strawberryLVR
by Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:15 PM

I didn't want an IV because I coulnd't move around with it in and it drove me nutty. So baby #2 I told them I didn't want it. But they said they needed to put it in in case there was an emergency and they needed to give me meds asap. so they put it in and i never used it. I don't mind having the saline though, keeps me from having to chugg water while in labor.

peanut06
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:22 PM

I totally agree about it making it easier to "offer" drugs without consent.  I labored for 4 hours with ds, 1 hour in the hospital.  As soon as he was out, the nurse said "I'm giving you pitocin."  no permission, no explanation.  I have a clotting condition, so maybe it's a factor, but I don't do well with IVs, had to fight with the maternal med nurse to take it out (claim it hurts, they fear clots, so it can come out without consulting OB).  We're planning a unassisted homebirth if there's a #4 for us, but still giving OB the riot act ahead of time.

Imagegoveg.gif picture by lilbean08wearbaby.gif attached image by Positivemom

Happy momma to two sweet girls and one dear son!

Roadfamily6now
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 12:12 AM

BUMP!

DixieFlower
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 12:04 PM

I personally go ahead and agree to a saline lock. However, I also have DH and my doula as extra eyes. I am a hard stick on a good day and in a non emergency situation so this just gives me peace of mind. Now if that wasn't the case I'd say to heck with the lock or IV. I have been lucky in the fact that I have never had anything administered into my saline lock without my consent. With my first birth my placenta came out in about 5 min after baby was born. I had VCI and the membranes were infected. Not sure if that had anything to do with the quick delivery of it or not. With my last birth it took a little over 30 min to deliver. While the OB was stitching my tears he told me "Okay Augusta you can just keep that placenta in for the next one". When he finished stitching we talked a little. He complimented me. Then he tells me you know I was just joking about keeping your placenta in right. Then smiled. About 10 min after that I felt it release and come.

RichMommy
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 12:14 PM
I refused with my 2 natural hospital deliveries. They sorta gave me a hard time... especially with my 2nd bc they were worried about bleeding after bc it was my 3rd baby(at which point they administer pitocin). I put my foot down and said "look if you're telling me that if I start to bleed out... which i wont... you aren't capable of getting an IV in me quick enough to save my life? If that's the case I will leave and deliver at home bc if I start to bleed out at least there I know an ambulance with a capable paramedic will show up to save me. " The nurses and midwife laughed and said okay but you have to promise not to bleed too much. LOL!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
truealaskanmom
by on Feb. 18, 2011 at 3:54 PM

BUMP!

truealaskanmom
by on Mar. 30, 2011 at 10:00 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)