Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Intervention of the Day- induction

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:03 PM
  • 13 Replies
Ok let's talk induction and all the different ways that it is done. I think induction for non emergent reasons is a very bad idea and can cause a whole heap of problems for the mom and baby. Talk about it here. I will list different methods feel free to add any I forget. Membrane stripping, foley bulb, cervadil, cytotec (bad!!), other prostoglandin methods, pitocin, nipple stimulation, AROM.

Join us in the Natural Birth Group!

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Roadfamily6now
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:42 PM

I have had 6 babies come naturally, picking their own birthdays. Never once did I choose induction and as long as there is no medical reason to do so, I never will.

I also agree that inductions can lead you down a very slippery slope which can end very very badly. Why risk it at all if you don't have to?

DayDaysmom19
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 11:24 AM

I was induced with my 1st baby. I was young and nieve/ignorant : ( My doctor pulled the dead baby card since I was 41 weeks. I was told the risk of still birth went up drastically after your due date...like I said, ignorant...SMH. Anyway, that ended in an "emergency" c-section. My next two children were born by elective repeat c-section...again with the dead baby card. By my fourth pregnancy I was WAY smarter and wiser to the tricks of an OB! I let this baby pick his own birthday and had a home water birth. He was born at 41 weeks 1 day. Apparently my babies just need to cook a little longer! 

DixieFlower
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 11:46 AM

I went into labor on my own with both of my pregnancies. One at exactly 40 wks and the last at 37wks.  When I was talking this last time with my OB about avoiding a C section she told me "you know the best way to avoid a C section right? Do not get induced and let your water break on it's own." So I'm sticking with her on this one.

Roadfamily6now
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 3:37 PM

Quoting DixieFlower:

I went into labor on my own with both of my pregnancies. One at exactly 40 wks and the last at 37wks.  When I was talking this last time with my OB about avoiding a C section she told me "you know the best way to avoid a C section right? Do not get induced and let your water break on it's own." So I'm sticking with her on this one.

sounds like a keeper!

Tammy

"It is not the healthy who need a doctor but the sick."

Join us in the Natural Birth Group!

DixieFlower
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 4:59 PM

yeah I don't know if it's because she's a newer OB or because she truly believes that birth does not need intervention. She's been in her own practice only about 5 yrs now. As much as I like her I do think I would have to transfer to the doctor that was on call for her during my last birth. I like him even more than her ;)

Quoting Roadfamily6now:

Quoting DixieFlower:

sounds like a keeper!

Fightclmembr
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 5:33 PM
Blah-I'm facing possible induction. I had PIH with my first, but it was manageable.

This pregnancy has been going better, then BAM high bp, increased unbearable headaches, visual changes, dizziness, feeling out of it. Currently collecting urine for 24 hours, did the pre-e labs today.

With how high my bp was today, I'm honestly worried about all the time this testing takes...if I'm feeling bad, how is baby doing? Good news though, I'm 38 weeks, 1 day today.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
moncrief_tara
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 5:38 PM
i was induced with my dd at 40 wks 5 days and i really was naieve. this time around i dont want to be induced, i want to wait to go into labor naturally, especially since i know for sure Exactly what my due date is this time
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JMmama
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 6:45 PM
With my first inwas induced with a pitocin drip. My doctor said "let's have a baby Wednesday" and I didn't know enough to argue. It went fine though. About 6 hours start to finish, no c-section. My last two weren't induced.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
truealaskanmom
by on Feb. 18, 2011 at 3:50 PM

BUMP!

truealaskanmom
by on Mar. 30, 2011 at 10:01 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)