Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

when did your water break?

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:19 PM
  • 32 Replies

IF your water didn't break early on, did it break as the baby was coming out? Just curious. My water has never broke on it's own. I will NEVER have it artificially broken again. I am also wondering if it can cause more pain for some wierd reason as the baby is coming out or will the fluid just move behind the baby as the head descends and then it breaks? i'd hate to see it pop and get everyone wet hehe

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Caroline2010
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:28 PM

mine broke at 4am when i woke up cuz of a sharpe pain and i just got out of bed and it broke! and that started my 14 hour long labor! lol! my family has a history of water breaking first so i wasnt suprised! but my hubby sure was! lol! he freaked!

unique_puzzle
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:29 PM

My first birth was a hospital birth and the midwife artificially broke my water.  With my second I had an unusual "home" birth.  I was living with my ex's family and didn't feel comfortable birthing there so I birthed at a hotel.  I was on the way to the hotel when my water broke and I had my son within two hours. 

strawberryLVR
by Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:29 PM

my friends water broke she was like 1cm only! SO WIERD! I thought that dialation MADE your water break cuz the bag would protrude and weaken. but i guess not! lol

peanut06
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:45 PM

AROM at 4-6 cm with #1, AROM at 7 with #2, AROM (against my wishes, but before I could say no) during a vaginal exam at 9 cm with #3 (and baby was born 3 contractions later with #3).  Doulala had some info about how en caul actually aids in reducing tears.  That would have been nice with #3 because I had 2nd degree tears with him.  Ouch.

AntroNet
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 11:50 PM

I must have been at 10 cm when mine broke this past Friday (the 4th), right as I was getting out of the car...it had been leaking earlier though.  A sudden burst and baby's head was in vaginal walls. He came pretty hard and quick.

Roadfamily6now
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 12:15 AM

with #1 i had a c-section before my water broke.

with #2, they broke my water and put in the internal monitors :(

with #3, my water broke just minutes before baby was born

with #4, my water broke on it's own about 1/2 way through labor

with #5, my water broke before labor started, then labor started just 30 minutes later. (it was a leak, not a gush)

with #6, my water broke just as the head was coming through the cervix.

Gemska
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 12:18 AM
I don't remember quite how far through labor I was when mine broke. But I do know I didntrealize it broke at first because I was throwing up at the same time. Talk about mesay!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Roadfamily6now
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 1:03 AM

BUMP!

VelvetCat
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 1:06 AM
never on its own with my first 2. with my last i requested to not have arom . . .and sooo glad i requested it. water broke as baby was emerging. after placenta was "born" we found that the cord to the placenta had velamentous cord insertion. a rare but potentially deadly issue. had i had arom. . my baby could have died.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tiger_tatted1
by on Feb. 10, 2011 at 1:08 AM

With my first son it leaked over the last 3 months of my pregnancy. The Dr. wanted to break it but realized it wasnt there. Lol. Second time it broke while I was sitting on the toilet at home..in labor. It was just a little bit thought...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)