Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does Insurance cover Midwives?

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 9:49 PM
  • 7 Replies

Can insurance only be used for OBs and hospitals or can medical insurance be used to hire a midwife and a birthing center?

What's the difference between a midwife and a doula?

How do you determine if one is experienced and knowledgable?

by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 9:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Pandapanda
by on Feb. 21, 2011 at 12:01 AM

Different insurance companies cover different things. I had Blue Cross Blue Shield and they covered midwives and ob's, birthing centers, hospitals, and a select few homebirth midwives.

A midwife is trained to deliver babies and to provide medical care for mother and baby during and immediately after birth. They are licensed by the state.

A doula mothers the mother- they support you like your mother, sister, best friend would.

truealaskanmom
by on Feb. 21, 2011 at 12:07 AM
some insurance covers midwives some doesn't you have to ask them, a midwife is a replacement for an OB and a doula is a support person in labor. You need to ask them questions to make sure they know what you want them to
doulala
by on Feb. 21, 2011 at 2:17 AM

Really it depends on the insurance / what the provider takes...  Midwives and birth centers do accept insurance, but will your accept your insuance, don't know.
Mine accepted my state medicaid with my pregnancies.

angeldescending
by on Feb. 21, 2011 at 2:24 AM

Most midwives to not except HMO's except for very few medical groups. If you have a PPO long as you can find a midwife that is a proffered provider it can be covered. On occasion a even if there isn't one on the list you can file an appeal for reimbursement. (I worked for Blue Shield and processed claims)

M.kadester.J
by on Feb. 21, 2011 at 10:37 AM
It depends... my insurance covers free standing birth centers and homebirth midwifes (as long as its legal in your state) same as hospital births. However it was cheaper to pay out of pfor our homebirth midwifes than to pay the insurance so we did it like that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
leanneislovin
by on Feb. 21, 2011 at 12:02 PM

My midwife does take insurance. Where do you live?

Raeann11
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2011 at 1:37 PM

It all depends on the company. Both mine I had will not cover Home Birthind midwifes but it would for a midwife in a hospital.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)