Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Newborn

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 9:54 PM
  • 16 Replies

I know a lot of people here are completely hands off when it come to labor and the birthing process, but when it comes to your newborn what do you allow the doctors to do or not do. Thanks for your opinions.

Opinions on:

• Hep B Vaccine
  • Antibiotic Ointment in the eyes
  • Clamping the cord
  • if you are having a boy circumcision
  • Newborn screening
  • Hearing test
  • and any other tests I might have forgotten or missed.
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 9:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Fightclmembr
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:13 PM
Here's my stance: - no hep b
- no eye ointment
- no vitamin k
- delayed cord clamping/cutting
- no circumcision

The newborn screening and hearing tests are fine with me. I don't even let anyone else bathe my kids...I like people to be hands off my kids ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
truealaskanmom
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 11:11 PM
Heb B because it is an epidemic here, yes to the PKU and hearing test no to the vit K, no to clamping before placenta is born, no circ, and all tests are performed in my room in our presence but this won't be an issue next time won't be in the hospital
truealaskanmom
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 11:12 PM
yes also to the no body bathes the baby besides us and we don't do a full bath just clean off blood gently and that is that no need for soap and scrubbing
Pandapanda
by on Feb. 21, 2011 at 12:08 AM

My son did not receive any treatments other than the hearing test, and newborn heel prick thing while in the hospital with me. I didn't mind the hearing test because it took a minute or less and I think he was asleep when they did it. I didn't actually consent to the heel pricks, I woke up to a nurse poking him and his blood-curdling scream. Needless to say that nurse didn't dare come in my room again.

Our son was circ'd at four days old by our pediatrician in her own office, which I felt was a much safer, more sterile environment.  (This i'd rather not get into, though, as I did not want it done.)

I don't think any of the rest are actually necessary.

MyIslandGirls
by on Feb. 21, 2011 at 1:40 AM

What we did.. regardless if I have an oppinion on it or not....

PKU (done 1 week after birth at home with my midwife)

Vit K

No Eye Ointment

Hep B as it is also rampant here (but it's not given at birth here anyways only at the 2 month immunizations)

Did Delayed cord clamping with my last (didn't know better before)

No to Circumcision!!!!

kryssa_mom
by on Feb. 21, 2011 at 3:42 AM

well I had my first when i was 16 so she got everything, I was young and didnt know better. my second has no vaccines, but i didnt know the risks of the other treatments at the time.

I personally believe in circumcision, only because of my religion.

This next baby that is due will get nothing done to him/her unless it is medically necessary.

M.kadester.J
by on Feb. 21, 2011 at 10:34 AM
Nothing was done to my baby at birth... my midwifes did do the newborn screen at his 1 week apt because we chose to have it done. We also have a consultation with a urologist next week (he will be 3 weeks old) and then will make our final decision on circumsision... we have been back and forth about it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
moderndayhippy
by on Feb. 21, 2011 at 12:55 PM

My son had everything done to him, because I had no clue what I was doing at the time. My daughter was a homebirth, and the only thing we did was to allow the midwife to do a mandatory blood test that she had to send in to the state, 3 days after her birth. I believe it was a PKU test.

Raeann11
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2011 at 1:31 PM

With my first all she got was the vit k. My second vit k shot, hearing test, hep b shot. With my third nothing was done. She was a home birth. Was not till a month later we went to see her Dr. Then she got the hep B shot.

peanut06
by on Feb. 21, 2011 at 1:42 PM
  • Hep B Vaccine--not till later, as it's not a problem in our area.
  • Antibiotic Ointment in the eyes--yes before, mostly because we birthed in the hospital, but no in the future because we'll be going UC.
  • Clamping the cord--future, wait till stops pulsing.
  • if you are having a boy circumcision--no, unless he chooses it as a teen.
  • Newborn screening--the metabolic stuff, yes, especially thyroid.
  • Hearing test--yes.
  • and any other tests I might have forgotten or missed.  Vit K--possibly in drop form, since I'm on blood thinners, but only after testing around 1-2 days old.  And, like others have said, we'll gently bathe the baby.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)