Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Involutary Pushing

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 4:21 AM
  • 10 Replies

When I gave birth to my DS in October 2010, I experienced involutary pushing, which went unnoticed for several hours by incompetent medical staff, causing dilation to stall at around 6cm.

I was aking noises like a dying elephant beccause my body was pushing and being hounded by staff to take something (coming in and asking literally every 5mins) I caved and had the Gas. This did not help. 

Then there was a shift change, and the new midwife noticed the involuntary pushing, and i was given about an hour to try and get it under control by myself. I couldn't and was given a shot of morphine(?) which managed to stop the involuntary pushing. I took the morphine, because i was told my only other optioons were an epidural or C-Sections ( both of which i wanted to try to avoid at all costs)

Because this was my first pregnancy/labour I didn't realise that my body was  doing it until it was pointed out to me. I was tensing up with each contraction. I had back labour, and don't remember feeling a single contraction in my stomach, but i don't know if that makes any difference. Looking back now i can see that that's what was happening, but at the time i had no clue.

I had really wanted a natural birth,  but  ended up with Gas and Morphine. I was very VERY disappointed with myself for this, distraught for a couple of months actually, but i've recently come to terms with my labour and am just happy that my son was born healthy.

My son was born, vaginally after 7 hrs and 45 minutes of active labour. I ended up with stitches, which i was told would help heal me faster (never again), and my son was born with a huge purple/black bruise on the left side of his head. He had difficulty breathing when he was first born, and took a while to start to breastfeed because he was just to fuzzy/sleepy due to the morphine.

Have any of you ladies experienced involuntary pushing? Can you ladies help me with natural ways to try and manage the involuntary pushing if it were to happen again with future pregnancies/labours.   I am determined to  go completely natural and med free in future.

Thanks in advance for any help

Bec

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 4:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ati_13
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:44 AM

This doesn't sound like pushing caused any of the problems.  It sounds like your son was asynclitic, which means his head was tilted to the side.  That can stall labor and cause back labor and the involuntary pushing.  USUALLY when your body tells you to push it's for a reason.  What did they have you try to stop the involuntary pushing?  It doesn't sound like your labor stalled for very long... less than 8 hours of active labor in a first time mom is really pretty short.  Were you stuck in bed?

Kristin_Allen
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:53 AM

That sounds more accurate. And the medication probably did not help with you dilating or your son coming out. Did they even try and ultrasound to see if he was in the wrong position?

Quoting Ati_13:

This doesn't sound like pushing caused any of the problems.  It sounds like your son was asynclitic, which means his head was tilted to the side.  That can stall labor and cause back labor and the involuntary pushing. 

Roadfamily6now
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Can you explain more about the actual feeling you felt with this "involuntary pushing"?

I have seen women feel like they needed to push and as a Doula, I don't recommend fighting to urge to push. For most of these women, this feeling will come at about 7cm-9cm and if the mom is allowed to "push" through it, she can get right to 10cm in just a few contractions.

But the majorty of women do not feel this until they are fully dilated.

I'm curious about your experience because feeling the urge to push so early is highly unusual.I'd also like to know if the midwife encouraged you to do anything or just left you alone.

Are you in Canada?

Pandapanda
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:13 PM

Yes, I was checked by my midwife at 9cms and was told I wasn't ready to push and my body started to push on it's own! I just totally surrendered to it and his head slipped down enough to almost begin crowning. It was such an odd feeling.

What position were you in, when the pushing began? Laying down whether on your back or side could prevent the body's pushing motion to be more painful/ineffective. It takes a lot of mental strength to let your body go- totally surrender and slip into lala land so that you can focus on your body. Interruptions of hospital staff likely also made this difficult. :(

DixieFlower
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:25 PM

I agree with PP's that it wasn't involuntary pushing that caused your problems. Our bodies know what to do. I only experienced involuntary pushing with my last birth and I wish I would have kept my mouth shut and just let my body do what it was doing. I was already at the pushing stage. The nurse told me to stop pushing because the doctor wasn't there. I blurted out to her that I couldn't that my body was doing it on it's own. Guess what the nurse then did. Put her hand on my babies head to stop him. I didn't know that's what had happened. I just knew something felt different and it hurt like heck. After staff cleared out of the room my mom confirmed what had happened. She told me that's why she'd given me the look she gave. She knew that I was at the point of my body pushing on it's own and she was hoping that I wouldn't tell the nurse that.

HuggyBaby2010
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 8:35 AM

Thank you for your replies

I'm going to try to reply to most of your questions, please forgive me if i miss one. I'm only saying it was invluntary pushing, because that is what i was told it was at the time. I plan to try and get a copy of my records from the hospital, to see what happened and when. Forgot to mention earlier my waters broke at home late thursday morning, and he was born  at 2.25am on the friday. went to hosptial around noon, because i had been having regular contractions. doctor checked said water had broken, but not capableof checking dilation, contractions monitored told not actuallt ion labour. got checked a  couple of hrs later, was 5-6 cm. checked a couple of hours later after the "involutary pushing" was noticed. still at 6, told this was cause head was rubbing and irritating cervix causing it to swell. pressured into morphine, when next checked, probably 2hr later (lost track of time) was at 9.5cm, told to push, and by now has no urge or desire to do so. apparently got stuck at 9.5cm, they  notice tiniest bit of water behond his head (missed  in earlier checked) proceeded to phycically rupture that water. when pushing on bed for about 35min   or so didn't work, put on birth stool and less than 20 mins later he was out.

What did they have you try to stop the involuntary pushing? The midwife left me alone and told me  to relax and focus on my breathing to try and stop it

Were you stuck in bed? Once they decided it was invluntary pushing yes i was stuck in bed.  Once I was apparently "ready" to push I was too damn exhausted, and groggy(?), they had me try to push for about 35mins on my back on the bed before deciding that that wasn't working and putting me on the birthing stool, he was born less than 20minutes later.

Did they even try and ultrasound to see if he was in the wrong position?  Nope. Wasn't even mentioned. Just told be that it was involuntary pushing, and it was causing hishead to rub against my cervix, irritating it  and causing it to swell causing dilation to stall.. was what i was told.

Can you explain more about the actual feeling you felt with this "involuntary pushing"?   I was on my hands and knees in the shower, my husband was putting the water from the shower head on my back with each contraction,  the only way i can describe it is that my whole body would tense up with each contraction for the length of the contraction, probably kind of bearing down. I'm trying t remember, its kinda a blur. I couldn't stop it, i had no contol over it

Are you in Canada?   Australia

What position were you in, when the pushing began? Laying down whether on your back or side could prevent the body's pushing motion to be more painful/ineffective. I was on my hands and knees in the shower, my husband was putting the water from the shower head on my back with each contraction. then i was made to lay on the bed and stay there, which i think made it worse.

Ati_13
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 2:12 PM

It sounds like you were too tense and that's why dilation stopped, not because of a swelling cervix, if there was any stalling at all.  It's very common for labors to take a break and stop progressing, and honestly, it doesn't sound like this is even a long enough break to qualify as a stall.  Next time, having a doula present and practicing relaxation techniques ahead of time will help.  Also, optimal positioning exercises will help.  www.spinningbabies.com

I really don't think this was anything you did or a problem that you will have with future pregnancies if you are educated and supported properly.

mostlymaydays
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2011 at 2:19 PM
I had a similar experience. The nurses were telling me to stop pushing and I said he was cming out on his own. I had a towel between my legs trying to keep him in while we waited for the stupid doctor. That was my first baby. I would never do that again.

Quoting DixieFlower:

I agree with PP's that it wasn't involuntary pushing that caused your problems. Our bodies know what to do. I only experienced involuntary pushing with my last birth and I wish I would have kept my mouth shut and just let my body do what it was doing. I was already at the pushing stage. The nurse told me to stop pushing because the doctor wasn't there. I blurted out to her that I couldn't that my body was doing it on it's own. Guess what the nurse then did. Put her hand on my babies head to stop him. I didn't know that's what had happened. I just knew something felt different and it hurt like heck. After staff cleared out of the room my mom confirmed what had happened. She told me that's why she'd given me the look she gave. She knew that I was at the point of my body pushing on it's own and she was hoping that I wouldn't tell the nurse that.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
truealaskanmom
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 3:18 PM

Also your cervix will swell if your body is telling you to push and you don't, your body says to push for a reason

Roadfamily6now
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 7:28 PM

That's very interesting and honestly I cannot say why your labor when down like that. I don't really care for the way the staff treated you. :( Never leave a mom alone in labor. Not very nice.

I think that next time will be better. Is having a homebirth something you can do?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN