Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Becoming a midwife?

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:03 AM
  • 13 Replies

If all states suddenly made it legal for midwives to assist in homebirths, would you consider becoming licensed?  If so, would you go the CNM, CPM, or DEM route, especially if you could get some kind of scholarship or financial aid assistance?  Would you consider helping with hospital births (not just transfers), too?

Full of questions this beautiful, pre-spring morning!
Clara

Learn your options in the Natural Birth group!

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rachelrothchild
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:09 PM

I hate to say this, but I don't see it happening.  The STATE wants to take choice away, not give it back.  

Roadfamily6now
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:16 PM

I'd become a Direct Entry Midwife. There is something to be said for the learning you get from on the job training with a great preceptor!

Here in Alaska we are working on something very special and new! If we get this accomplished, we will be the first in the nation to have paid midwife apprenticeships!! 

peanut06
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:14 PM

I can see my hubby adding that as a bonus on a list of reasons to move that far away.  "But honey, they have paid midwife apprenticeships!"  He would say something like that LOL 

Seriously, though, that sounds amazing!

Quoting Roadfamily6now:

I'd become a Direct Entry Midwife. There is something to be said for the learning you get from on the job training with a great preceptor!

Here in Alaska we are working on something very special and new! If we get this accomplished, we will be the first in the nation to have paid midwife apprenticeships!! 

Learn your options in the Natural Birth group!

Pandapanda
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:08 PM

I absolutely would!

charisma10
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 5:58 PM

i am working towards a CNM, just finished BSN (RN) last month

mrs.pyle
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 5:59 PM

Quoting rachelrothchild:

I hate to say this, but I don't see it happening.  The STATE wants to take choice away, not give it back.  

cheribabii613
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:36 PM

id do it

srbeusk
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 12:06 AM
i couldn't...i take things waay to personal...like...cemetarys make me bawl! So if anything ever went wrong, i'd never be able to move past it...
It would actually ruin my life forever, even if it was something that i had NO control over...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
doulala
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 1:53 AM

For years, I have pondered the idea of doing it regardless.  ;-)

doulala
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 1:55 AM
Quoting Roadfamily6now:
 we will be the first in the nation to have paid midwife apprenticeships!! 

Really?!?      I thought my midwives' apprentices were employed technically...   hm!

??

Now I will have to ask the ladies..........

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)