Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Provocative Question of the Day (a little OT)

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2011 at 11:58 AM
  • 13 Replies

Doulala's "quote of the day" was the inspiration behind this.  That, and I recently had a discussion with a few people on psychotropic medications and why many people don't NEED to take them.

Why do you need to think for yourself when the medical establishment can think and make your decisions for you?

Sometimes I feel I am the only one who knows how to think for myself.  Does anyone else feel that way?  My guess is yes...

CafeMom Tickers
by on Apr. 7, 2011 at 11:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NCmommie421
by on Apr. 7, 2011 at 12:19 PM

your baby is due the same time as mine :)

thats just it-ppl DONT need to think for themselves when they have big brother or w/e telling them what to do for EVERYTHING(seriously i know ppl who go to the er for a headache or leg cramp. sigh) you have to get MAD first at the bs you're being fed before you can go against the trend i guess.

Pandapanda
by on Apr. 7, 2011 at 12:43 PM

Yes and no. Sometimes I truly just do not understand why people don't believe evidence-based studies, and assume their doctor knows absolute best. Every person in this world will make a wrong decision and judge something incorrectly. Including doctors- since all they're doing is making an educated guess half the time.  There's much more to the human body than a textbook.

rachelrothchild
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2011 at 2:45 PM

Very cool ;)

Funny that you bring up Big Brother.  My husband just wrote a political novel on government intrusion on peoples' lives.  Why are people so quick to do what they're told anyway?  Is it because it's easier or because they automatically trust everyone in authority or the "experts"?  DH often says, "I can't believe people aren't pissed off at what's going on right now.  People should be dying."  Revolution-that's the way we used to deal with things here.  Now, we're so complacent it's scary.

*high five for not being an idiot

Quoting NCmommie421:

your baby is due the same time as mine :)

thats just it-ppl DONT need to think for themselves when they have big brother or w/e telling them what to do for EVERYTHING(seriously i know ppl who go to the er for a headache or leg cramp. sigh) you have to get MAD first at the bs you're being fed before you can go against the trend i guess.

NCmommie421
by on Apr. 7, 2011 at 4:48 PM

complacent definitely. you always hear ppl say things like how they dont like the govt they dont like the president or congress or this or that etc etc and its like um why are you talking about it what are you DOING about it?

peanut06
by on Apr. 7, 2011 at 6:46 PM

You got it, right there! 

I told hubby we're turning into paranoid hippies, distrusting so much in our developed world.  Medication/vaccines, doctors, companies (especially food-related), schools... and because of that, we're planning to homeschool, homebirth, breastfeed till child weans, not use infant "foods," co-sleep, not vaccinate our children anymore for now, severely limit processed foods, and trying really hard to help him quit smoking and drinking caffeine. 

Simply put, I used to think all you "extreme" folks were duped by conspiracies, until I realized I was looking in the mirror at the one on the wrong side of the conspiracies--nervous LOL...  (Check out the 3rd blinkie in my signature)

Quoting NCmommie421:

[...]  you have to get MAD first at the bs you're being fed before you can go against the trend i guess.

Learn your options in the Natural Birth group!

truealaskanmom
by on Apr. 7, 2011 at 7:24 PM

Oh yeah it is unreal how people just follow what they are told, I don't trust anybody to make choices for me and my family and I am anal about everything and trust nothing 

Roadfamily6now
by on Apr. 7, 2011 at 7:53 PM

Because we need someone to blame??

rachelrothchild
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2011 at 10:00 PM

You definitely don't need to be a "paranoid hippy" to distrust so much that is happening in our world, but good point.  A lot of people are deciding to do these types of things (homeschool, homebirth, not trusting meds/vaccines, etc) because they are looking into all of this themselves and becoming more informed.  I thank my chiropractor and my political friends for a lot of the info on eating healthy, avoiding meds/not vaxing, and homeschooling.  My husband and I are libertarians, and a lot of people we know are into this stuff, and they aren't hippies.  Libertarians don't like anyone who tries to take away their freedoms or choices, and that is just what the system does.

Quoting peanut06:

You got it, right there! 

I told hubby we're turning into paranoid hippies, distrusting so much in our developed world.  Medication/vaccines, doctors, companies (especially food-related), schools... and because of that, we're planning to homeschool, homebirth, breastfeed till child weans, not use infant "foods," co-sleep, not vaccinate our children anymore for now, severely limit processed foods, and trying really hard to help him quit smoking and drinking caffeine. 

Simply put, I used to think all you "extreme" folks were duped by conspiracies, until I realized I was looking in the mirror at the one on the wrong side of the conspiracies--nervous LOL...  (Check out the 3rd blinkie in my signature)

Quoting NCmommie421:

[...]  you have to get MAD first at the bs you're being fed before you can go against the trend i guess.

CafeMom Tickers
Trailerparkmom
by on Apr. 7, 2011 at 10:19 PM

I had many eye opening life experiences that helped me realize that I need to think for myself.  Most of them sucked while they were happening but I'm happy I went through them now.  

But I think most people haven't had these experiences.  Their parents/school/society taught them to listen and be good and it has worked out for them so they have no reason to question it, I suppose.  

peanut06
by on Apr. 8, 2011 at 11:24 AM

Yes, I fall under the libertarian category most of the time.  I was shocked in my college intro to political science course when I saw I wasn't a democrat.  Hubby's going through that same denial process right now, realizing he isn't really a republican LOL

Quoting rachelrothchild:

You definitely don't need to be a "paranoid hippy" to distrust so much that is happening in our world, but good point.  A lot of people are deciding to do these types of things (homeschool, homebirth, not trusting meds/vaccines, etc) because they are looking into all of this themselves and becoming more informed.  I thank my chiropractor and my political friends for a lot of the info on eating healthy, avoiding meds/not vaxing, and homeschooling.  My husband and I are libertarians, and a lot of people we know are into this stuff, and they aren't hippies.  Libertarians don't like anyone who tries to take away their freedoms or choices, and that is just what the system does.

Learn your options in the Natural Birth group!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)