Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Topic of the day-going natural

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2011 at 3:52 PM
  • 13 Replies

Share how you came to going natural for birth.  And why do you think more people don't?

by on Apr. 8, 2011 at 3:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mollysmom328
by on Apr. 8, 2011 at 4:04 PM

I decided to have a natural birth based on experiences others had shared with me.  When I heard their experiences I did my own research about the effects of drugs on the baby during/after the birth.  Even my hospital birthing class stressed the cons of medications and stressed natural birth.

I think more people don't go natural out of fear.  Fear of not being able to "handle it".  I was in a room full of women when I was 38 weeks pregnant and most of them were trying to convince me to "just get the epidural".  I spent the entire time trying to convince them that I DID NOT want an epidural and they could not seem to understand why.

Pandapanda
by on Apr. 8, 2011 at 4:37 PM

Well, I knew I would never get the epidural. I'm scared of needles.. so bad. Then Doualala came along with gentle persuasion and lots of helpful information. The information helped me make my decision. If I hadn't looked at it with an open mind, I never would have accepted that I could do it without outside "help".

Mrs.Salz
by on Apr. 8, 2011 at 4:52 PM

I did because it made sense to me that birth is a natural process.  Reading a couple of books helped too.

It seemed much worse to me to have pitocin, epidural, etc., because then I would no longer be in control of labor. 

I think more people don't because they don't even realize it's an option and/or assume it's not safe... too much inherent trust in doctors and not enough trust in the design of birth.

Roadfamily6now
by on Apr. 8, 2011 at 5:09 PM

By chance. my 3rd labor was 2 hours and 22 minutes long. I did not have time for anything. It was an eye opener and I learned that Labor was not that bad and in fact, it was awesome that I could do it all by myself!!! I was jazzed and prided myself on not using any drugs for the next 3 births.

:)

Why don't more people have a natural birth? because we have been taught that we cannot without drugs. That birth is dangerous and we should not do it outside of a hospital. Some women who attempt a natural birth in a hospital are not fully prepared and end up getting the drugs. Many  reasons  such as: lack of support, painful interventions, fear, restrictions that make labor more painful (such as being in bed), etc.............

Trailerparkmom
by on Apr. 8, 2011 at 10:12 PM

I ran across Laura Shanley's story about 5 years ago, back when I didn't even think I wanted children.  It planted a seed in my brain.  Then when I became pregnant and started reading about birth I came across natural birth again.  It just feels to right to me, everything about the hospital stresses me out and feels wrong.  I feel guided towards natural birth, it is definitely my path.  

I think most people don't even consider alternatives.  They are full of fear of doing anything different.  Mostly subconscious fear so they can't even acknowledge it and work through it.  Not just in birth but in all parts of life most people feel safe as part of the herd.  

I do think it's really interesting that most people feel like a hospital is safe.  You don't even know who your labor attendants are going to be!  That is my first issue with the hospital.  How can I trust them when they can't even guarantee that someone I know will be helping me during labor?  How can women just blanketly trust all L&D nurses?  Thank God for my anxiety and overthinking everything :-)

Trailerparkmom
by on Apr. 8, 2011 at 10:14 PM

Quoting Pandapanda:

Well, I knew I would never get the epidural. I'm scared of needles.. so bad. Then Doualala came along with gentle persuasion and lots of helpful information. The information helped me make my decision. If I hadn't looked at it with an open mind, I never would have accepted that I could do it without outside "help".

I'm terrified of needles too!  The IV freaks me out just as much as the edipural.

srbeusk
by on Apr. 8, 2011 at 10:45 PM
i don't know...i really don't remember when/ why, lol...but i do know that i'm super glad i did!
As for why more people don't? Because they aren't raised to know it...like...if you grow up in Say, for example, a super religious home, and then you start talking to atheists...you'd want to fight it...how long and how hard being based on how *deep* into ur *religion* you are...
If that makes sense...i'm ot really good at explaining my thoughts, lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DixieFlower
by on Apr. 8, 2011 at 10:54 PM

I had a lot of time to think research birth. We TTC for over two yrs before we got pregnant. I knew that my mother had natural births with 2 of her 3 births. Her 3rd birth was an emergency C section. My sister was breech and the OB was all for a vaginal delivery until he saw how short her cord was and it was wrapped around her neck. It was at that point he told my mom "I know you wanted to have a medication free vaginal birth. I don't feel confident with a vaginal birth with these circumstances. My mom agreed and had a C section. I also got to see my middle sister in labor after an induction. I swore I was not going to put myself through that. I have yet to achieve my natural birth though. Both of my births at some point I asked for pain medication. I know what caused me to do that and I wish that I could have stayed home a bit longer with my last birth. I really feel if I could have I wouldn't have asked for pain medication. I think a lot of women are of this "We have the technology and I shouldn't be in "pain" theory on birth" Then you have the hospitals that for the most part don't really help mom achieve her natural birth.

Raeann11
by on Apr. 9, 2011 at 9:43 AM

After I had a miscarriage and talked to my Aunt about it. She asked me where I would give birth and what I plan to do. I had no clue at that time I had options. So we talked about natural and home births. So hubby and I started to look into it and decided it was right for us.

I thinks lots don't because they are told or scared into thinking they can't do it, that why would you want to be in all that pain when you can enjoy your birth(if they only knew how much you can enjoy a natural birth), and many other reasons I sure if I sat and thought a long time. I could come up with so much more.

CrunchyMom2Two
by on Apr. 9, 2011 at 10:50 AM

Since as far back as I can remember my mother told me that I was weak and couldn't handle pain and that I would have to get an epi and that I would be a scream at my husband.  There came a time, probably in my teens, when that made me really angry.  I also have a very real fear of needles in my spine (there is just something VERY wrong with that).  When I had my first and I was in a hospital I did it drug free and without screaming.  Woo hoo!  Before I even got pregnant with my second I began to learn more about birth and pregnancy.  I resolved that my next birth would be at home.  Which I did. 

I think that more people don't have natural because they are programed from the time they are very young that you just do it that way.  Then when you decide to do it differently your peer group, most often react negatively.  It is also a lack of education about the whole birth process.  When I was pregnant with my first and we were in lamaze there was a 16 year old girl in there by herself.  The day we were talking about dialating she followed me into the bathroom crying because she had "never heard about that thingy and that it opened like that".  This is a very real problem!  My husband and I work with teens and I have spoken with many health care professionals who talk about how little the next generation knows about the basics of human anatomy.  We've become so focused about teaching them about safe sex that we've forgotten about basic anatomy.

Sorry this is so long!   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN