Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Labor without pain medication

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2011 at 12:58 AM
  • 4 Replies

Hi! I'm due at the end of May and I want an epidural free labor. I am looking for support, words of encouragement to know that this is something I can do. Any good experiences out there and/or ways to relax and handle the pain? Thank you!

~Santi's Mom~

by on Apr. 10, 2011 at 12:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
pixiefunk
by on Apr. 10, 2011 at 1:03 AM

If you are interested at all in hypnosis, you could order hypnobabies and start immediately and should be done in time for the birth.

Without it, just remember we would have died out if having babies was dangerous or THAT painful. 

Just remember, "This too shall pass" even if it feels like forever, it isn't.

Good luck MAMA!

truealaskanmom
by on Apr. 10, 2011 at 1:08 AM

Welcome, fee free to browse the group there are lots of helpful posts and ask anything you want and we will answer the best we can. 

Roadfamily6now
by on Apr. 10, 2011 at 2:03 AM

Hire a Doula,

Attend an Out of Hospital Birthing Class.

Read all the books you can about Natural birth, like Ina May Gaskin and Birthing from Within, Husband Coached Childbirth, Homebirth in a Hospital, Gentle Birth, etc.....

doulala
by on Apr. 10, 2011 at 2:19 AM

There are a few things that can make a BIG difference:

Birth attendants~
Who you hire to attend your maternity care can be have a huge impact.    With midwives they stay with moms through their entire labor helping them cope and this reduces the need for meds.
They also continuously offer encouragement and support, rarely leaving your side unless you prefer that--  and many do.

Setting~
Birthing in the Place where meds are the norm & drug-free is rare automatically sets you up for an uphill climb.    Avoiding that place can instantly reduce your needs & desires to have drugs.

Confidence~
By preparing your mind for the birth you can feel more relaxed and comfortable allowing the labor to progress and intensify.    You give it permission to do it's thing (work hard to bring baby out to you) and try to concentrate inward to keep distractions away.
Your preparations may include reading, classes, videos, extended prenatal appointments, and a birth doula's help.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN