Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Evening primrose oil

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:47 AM
  • 9 Replies

I've been taking evening primrose oil tablets orally for the last week or so. My midwife suggested taking it to prevent going overdue, as it softens the cervix. So I just googled it today to see what else it said, and the website I was reading said that you can insert it vaginally and massage it onto your cervix. First of all....HOW do you do that??? And second, is taking it orally just as helpful or is the other way better? I just thought you ladies (esp doulala) might know. :)

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
CjEmmemommy
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:50 AM

I am not sure exactly. I took per my midwifes suggestion- 1 orally, 1 vaginally for 1 weeks starting at 37 weeks. Then at 38 weeks switched to 2 vaginally. He was born 39.2, I never messaged them in though- I inserted as far as I could before bed and then they dissolved on their own.

Talk to your midwife and see what she says. I heard different things from different expecting moms on what they were told to do.

4babyruth
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:52 AM

My spouse did this with our first A land birth. IDK if it helped labor was 21 hours But i did love the attention he was giving me!

Roadfamily6now
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 12:28 PM

What does your Midwife consider "overdue"?

Gemska
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 9:22 PM
She doesn't want me going past 41 weeks because then I have to deliver in l&d instead of the birth center. I'm at 39 weeks...so I'm not worried really.

Quoting Roadfamily6now:

What does your Midwife consider "overdue"?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
doulala
by on Apr. 14, 2011 at 12:42 AM

That kind of stuff is really frustrating; changing setting because of your gestation!

I mean, the average (estimated) due period is 38-42 weeks, so why not consider all normal pregnancies to AT LEAST be within this range ?

I can understand wanting to try and 'help' things along I suppose, but truly, Mother Nature/God has designed us well and if there are no complications-all is well, then no need to expect something is wrong (/change settings).

Since you want to avoid the hospital, taking this in any-all forms seems reasonable. 
You can push a capsule up there and let it dissolve.    I think some ladies like to use a tampon or their finger to get it deep up in there, some use the hubbies, lol.

Just as a woman’s heart knows,

How and when to pump,

Her lungs to inhale,

And her hand to pull back from fire,

So she knows when and how to give birth.

- Virginia Di

ICAN

truealaskanmom
by on Apr. 14, 2011 at 6:59 PM

I am very leery of EPO I read an article a year ago about it being linked to longer labors and sometimes longer gestation I cannot find the article though which is frustrating.  I really wouldn't do it at all if I were you

kryssa_mom
by on Apr. 14, 2011 at 11:17 PM

I used evening primrose oil for about two days vaginally before I went into labor. I would do more research on it though. :) every mommy is different.

Roadfamily6now
by on Apr. 15, 2011 at 12:06 AM

Quoting doulala:

That kind of stuff is really frustrating; changing setting because of your gestation!

I mean, the average (estimated) due period is 38-42 weeks, so why not consider all normal pregnancies to AT LEAST be within this range ?

I can understand wanting to try and 'help' things along I suppose, but truly, Mother Nature/God has designed us well and if there are no complications-all is well, then no need to expect something is wrong (/change settings).

Since you want to avoid the hospital, taking this in any-all forms seems reasonable. 
You can push a capsule up there and let it dissolve.    I think some ladies like to use a tampon or their finger to get it deep up in there, some use the hubbies, lol.

Beautifully said! This is why it's so awesome that we have so many opinions and people in this group because the day I read this I was in no mood to reply in a peacful manner. It's great that you got some good and respectful answers to your question. And I am feeling much more calm today! :)

Tammy

5 VBACs and counting!

Doula, Childbirth Educator, Certified Lactation Counselor

"Birth is not an Emergency, it is simply an Emergence"
Jeannine Pavarti Baker

strawberryLVR
by Member on Apr. 15, 2011 at 12:10 AM

u just break them and squeez the iol into your vagina and rub it around etc..I've heard that vaginal is better and orally is better so i have no idea haha actually the BEST form of softening cervix is sperm! it's the strongest thing for that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)