Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

UPDATE! Breech baby:(

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 5:11 PM
  • 20 Replies

Yay, she flipped again!  Stubborn little girl, lol!  She is offically head down and ready to go.  I hope she stays this way until she is ready to join us.  I am so relieved that she did it all on her own and I can continue with my wonderful birth plan.  Thanks ladies for all of your encouragement:)

Here's my little princess...she is going to be here so soon!!!!!

I am almost 35 weeks and the baby has flipped.  I talked with my midwife and if she doesn't turn or they can't turn her, they do an automatic csection.  I am smart enough to know that breech should not equal automatic csection but I am not sure how to go about finding someone who knows how to deliver a breech baby.  This is my fifth baby and I refuse (unless there is something compromising the baby) to have a csection just because she is breech.  I am hoping I can get her to turn but I want to be prepared in case I can't.  Can you all help me out?  I am scared and really upset right now:(

lunchbagplaying soccertoddler girltoddler boyexpecting girl

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 5:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Salz
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 5:37 PM

Have you looked at www.spinningbabies.com?  There are a lot of exercises and things on there that can help baby turn.

I hope it all works out for you!

mommyandthree
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 5:39 PM

I have not but I sure will!  I figured I would ask you all while I am waiting to hear back from my doula:)  I appreciate the info and will give it a shot:)

notjstanothrmom
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 5:41 PM

You still have a lot of time for the baby to flip. There are methods that you can attempt to try and flip the baby if it doesn't flip on it's own... IF the baby continues to be breech, find a home birth midwife who will deliver your child at home or do it yourself. It is still safer to deliver breech over having a c-section.

mommyandthree
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 5:49 PM

Actually I was going to look into a HB midwife who will do it or find an OB to do it.  I know some OB's will.  I am okay with doing the HB but I know my husband would be more comfortable with being at the hospital given the situation.  Either way, a csection is not happening unless there is a legit problem...not just breech!

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

You still have a lot of time for the baby to flip. There are methods that you can attempt to try and flip the baby if it doesn't flip on it's own... IF the baby continues to be breech, find a home birth midwife who will deliver your child at home or do it yourself. It is still safer to deliver breech over having a c-section.

lunchbagplaying soccertoddler girltoddler boyexpecting girl

notjstanothrmom
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 5:59 PM

Remember though your husband shouldn't be the one you're aiming to please, it should be yourself. Show him the research.

If you feel more comfortable with an OB, make sure you ask them questions because many would say they are fine with it and then make up an excuse that it's an emergency and you're in the midst and scared and get the c-section. Let me find some videos for you.

Quoting mommyandthree:

Actually I was going to look into a HB midwife who will do it or find an OB to do it.  I know some OB's will.  I am okay with doing the HB but I know my husband would be more comfortable with being at the hospital given the situation.  Either way, a csection is not happening unless there is a legit problem...not just breech!

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

lundaylove
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 7:38 PM

heres some stuff ive got on breech birth. ive been studying up cuz im birthing unassisted and even a breech wont make me go to the hospital. no way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5kTuEkPapE&feature=autofb 
(this i have not watched all the way thru yet. kids have kept me busy...)

http://www.homebirth.net.au/2011/03/mechanism-of-breech.html 
i warn you it is graphic though^

http://www.birthingway.com/footling_breech.htm

ive got more i just gotta find them.... 

Pandapanda
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 7:40 PM

You've got well over a month for the baby to flip, so I wouldn't get too worried yet. I would try for 20-30 minutes daily to try flipping her, but don't get too into it because I imagine the stress isn't great.

Is there anyone who delivers with your midwife/at your birthing location who has done a breech delivery before? Worst comes to worst you could show up in labor and refuse to be sectioned, but I do think breech deliveries are safest if the attendant knows what they're doing.

Roadfamily6now
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 9:01 PM

Great advice so far.
Call around, ask your Doula, ask midwives..... find someone skilled in Breech Vaginal Delivery.

If done by a SKILLED care provider a breech vaginal is safer then a c-section.

Since this is also your 5th baby, i would make sure you point that fact out during your search. Your birth canal and uterus are extra stretchy so both turning and delivery should be easier then that of a first time mom.

Good Luck!

Oh, also SERIOUSLY consider finding a Chiropractor skilled in the Webster Technique.

mommyandthree
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 9:04 PM

Thank you ladies for all of the info:)  I love seeing the pics and the videos of breech delivery!  I have calmed down and talked with my doula.  Can I just say that I love her!  She told me that the guy that would be trying to turn her is HORRIBLE and not to let him do it.  She gave me the name of a doctor who actually knows what he is doing and then she gave me the name of a homebirth midwife who is experienced in breech deliveries.  I talked with hubby also and he is very supportive of my decision:)  Hopefully she will turn and none of this will be an issue but I want to be as prepared as possible for all scenarios.  I appreciate all the help! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)