Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

questions... third time is a charm right? (PIOG)

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2011 at 3:57 PM
  • 11 Replies

ok so long story short... This is my third pregnancy (YAY) I have wanted natural birth both times before.. didn't happen. Didn't have Bad experiences per-se. No complications etc... but the more I research it the more I switch from, natural birth would be great to try, .... to ummm Im flirting with problems from medicated births.

I have had 2 uncomplicated epidural vaginal deliveries.

I know step one is to stay at home as long as possible. Maybe this is silly, but how will I know when to go in? With DS I was in labor for 41hours. DD total time was 6.5 hours. When we left the house my contractions were MAYBE 2 minutes apart. We got to the hospital at 830p and she was born at 139a. I want to stay out of the hospital where the epi is just to easy, but um I dont' want to have the baby in the car either. And DH would probably faint if I had the baby at home "on accident"

Are there any herbs I can take as I get later into pregnancy? Not to induce labor (I know some of those can be risky) but to make labor easier? I have heard of tinctures, but they seem kinda pricey, I guess I am wondering if I can get individual herbs at a less expensive cost.

I am only 18w3d so I know I am ahead of myself, just trying to prepare early. I will be having a hospital birth with a great OB (not very interventionist, reputation for very few c-sections) Unfortunately a doula is not an option either (lack of funds and DH won't go for it)

Blessed Mommy to: Angel Baby : 07/08/08  Alexander Jayce:05/21/09 Kalea Brielle: 06/03/10 Surprise! EDD 09/21/11

pregnancy week by week

Due in September? Join us in September 2011 Babies!

by on Apr. 21, 2011 at 3:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DixieFlower
by on Apr. 21, 2011 at 6:01 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by DH won't go for a doula. As to the funds a lot of doulas will work on a sliding scale and even provide services free of charge if need be. I know my DH was a bit leary about having a doula at our first birth. He was afraid the doula was "replacing" him. Well when we found out we were expecting our second child the first thing DH asked me was "We are calling rachel (our doula) right?" He realized what a help having the extra set of eyes and hands were during my labor.

Roadfamily6now
by on Apr. 21, 2011 at 6:02 PM

I don't care if your DH is against a Doula, interview a few before you decide. They are so worth it. And you might be able to find a few willing to work at a lower fee or even free if they are in training.

Get a DOULA!

Looks like your timing is great for going to the hospital actually. Get a DOULA to help you during those hospital hours when the drugs are so tempting.

I know of a Great Herbalist, she is not $$ at all. $20 for a bag of herbs that will last 2 months.

www.stellalyn.com

Get a DOULA!

Tammy

ICAN of Anchorage

Chapter Leader

HamBergerMama
by on Apr. 21, 2011 at 6:44 PM

Yep thats DH... plus he thinks I am nuts for even thinking about a non medicated birth (again) and when my OB mentioned he was ok with delivering a breech vaginally DH was the one who was like "ummm I really think that c-section is safer," He did come around b/c I was so stubborn about it, but thankfully we never had to cross that bridge since DD turned after a version. 

He really is great, he just comes from a TOTALLY different mindset... TOTALLY. 

How would I go about finding a doula? I live in the middle of nowhere...

Quoting DixieFlower:

I'm not sure what you mean by DH won't go for a doula. As to the funds a lot of doulas will work on a sliding scale and even provide services free of charge if need be. I know my DH was a bit leary about having a doula at our first birth. He was afraid the doula was "replacing" him. Well when we found out we were expecting our second child the first thing DH asked me was "We are calling rachel (our doula) right?" He realized what a help having the extra set of eyes and hands were during my labor.

Blessed Mommy to: Angel Baby : 07/08/08  Alexander Jayce:05/21/09 Kalea Brielle: 06/03/10 Surprise! EDD 09/21/11

pregnancy week by week

doulala
by Gold Member on Apr. 21, 2011 at 6:48 PM

Why go to the hospital ever?

And you can always have a birth doula there with you to help you figure out when it might be Time to go in.
You don't have to pay for one...
What are your husband's concerns with one?

The "best" way to prepare for a comfy, productive, enjoyable labor is through mental-emotional preparation.   You could physically prepare somehow, with herbs or whatever.    But the mental part is by far the greatest hurdle.
Once you are at peace and willing to surrender fully (like an orgasm) things will flow...

;-D

"There is power that comes to women when they give birth. They don't ask for it, it simply invades them. Accumulates like clouds on the horizon and passes through, carrying the child with it."
-Sheryl Feldman

HamBergerMama
by on Apr. 21, 2011 at 11:28 PM
Thanks I'll check her out!

Quoting Roadfamily6now:

I don't care if your DH is against a Doula, interview a few before you decide. They are so worth it. And you might be able to find a few willing to work at a lower fee or even free if they are in training.

Get a DOULA!

Looks like your timing is great for going to the hospital actually. Get a DOULA to help you during those hospital hours when the drugs are so tempting.

I know of a Great Herbalist, she is not $$ at all. $20 for a bag of herbs that will last 2 months.

www.stellalyn.com

Get a DOULA!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DixieFlower
by on Apr. 21, 2011 at 11:39 PM

I found my doula through mothering.com. If you register there you can find others in your area and make posts specificly for that area. I posted where I was, the fact that I had a limited budget and was looking for a doula. During my first pregnancy the doula I had was in training and charged us 50.00. Now during my second pregnancy she was already certified. She had a higher fee then but lowered it for us because we were repeats and told us if it was still too high that she could reduce it to whatever we could afford. A lot of doulas believe that no mother should be with out a doula and will adjust their fees accordingly so that happens. I also know that if you type in doula into google or another search engine it will give you the links to a few doula certification sites that let you search for doulas.

Quoting HamBergerMama:I

Yep thats DH... plus he thinks I am nuts for even thinking about a non medicated birth (again) and when my OB mentioned he was ok with delivering a breech vaginally DH was the one who was like "ummm I really think that c-section is safer," He did come around b/c I was so stubborn about it, but thankfully we never had to cross that bridge since DD turned after a version. 

He really is great, he just comes from a TOTALLY different mindset... TOTALLY. 

How would I go about finding a doula? I live in the middle of nowhere...

Quoting DixieFlower:

rachelrothchild
by on Apr. 22, 2011 at 10:25 AM

Yeah, really.

Quoting doulala:

Why go to the hospital ever?

And you can always have a birth doula there with you to help you figure out when it might be Time to go in.
What are your husband's concerns with one?

The "best" way to prepare for a comfy, productive, enjoyable labor is through mental-emotional preparation.   You could physically prepare somehow, with herbs or whatever.    But the mental part is by far the greatest hurdle.
Once you are at peace and willing to surrender fully (like an orgasm) things will flow...

;-D

Roadfamily6now
by on Apr. 22, 2011 at 1:49 PM

also try www.doulamatch.net and DONA and CBI.

HamBergerMama
by on Apr. 22, 2011 at 3:28 PM

Thanks everyone! I sent the post about Dad's and Doula's to DH last night. I prepped him for it and his answer was shockingly not NO it was "this is gonna take me awhile to be OK with it." Which is why I sent it to him now.

I will look into things, but I know that anything over 100$ is a no right away :-( Probably anything over 50$....

Thanks for the sites though I will definitely be looking into them!

HamBergerMama
by on Apr. 22, 2011 at 3:44 PM

Quoting rachelrothchild:

Yeah, really.

Quoting doulala:

Why go to the hospital ever? I am not comfortable with a home birth, I have nothing wrong with them, I think that they can be wonderful... they just aren't for me. And I need to be "comfortable" with my surroundings. I know that might sound contradicting to not wanting to be at home, but the thought of all the mess and having to have the house clean ahead of time would just = more stress for me.

I am in Ohio, which is a very tough birthing state (home births are not really "legel"... not really "illegal" just ill defined. And the closest birthing center that would take me is 1.5 hours away. I wouldn't make it, nor would I want to be in a car that long while laboring. We do have one that is only 30min away but they won't accept any patients that are not Amish/Mennonite. Which I am not. We had actually talked about me trying to "fake it" since that is my background and culture but my insurance won't cover it so that sealed the deal for us. 

That leaves the hospital. Which I am fine with. I have an OB who is very open to few unneeded interventions. He has a reputation for low c-sections, offered to deliver a vaginal breech and views birth as NORMAL not a disease. 

What are your husband's concerns with one? Having someone in the room besides just he and I it is a very special private moment for us. =) (Duh;-) ) I think he is afraid that it means he isn't doing a good job as my support. He is wonderful support. He just doesn't know how to fully support me through without an epi. Nor does he have any real interest in learning about it. Probably because he thinks I am a little crazy for wanting to go without an epi. He comes from a totally different mind set. Also financially, insurance wouldn't cover a doula and we have pretty much no "extra" money.

The "best" way to prepare for a comfy, productive, enjoyable labor is through mental-emotional preparation.   You could physically prepare somehow, with herbs or whatever.    But the mental part is by far the greatest hurdle. I guess I thought I was with the first. and the second... clearly I was not because as soon as the epi is mentioned or thought about I cave right away. So frustrating for me. The pain is so intense and I have no break.

;-D

pregnancy week by week

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)