Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Shoot!

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2011 at 7:59 PM
  • 11 Replies

So at the very beginning of my pregnancy I talked a lot about my previous birth and what was hard about it and had more or less come up with a plan of how to cope with the hardest parts for next time. Now I am ready to start focusing and preparing for the birth and getting it all in writing and I can't remember anything!!!

PANIC! I know I have 20 weeks or so left but it is so close ad I'm not ready! Ok deep breaths. So ladies, help me come up with a lot of pain coping mechanisms and things to include in my completely natural, hospital birth plan.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Maternity tickers

by on Apr. 21, 2011 at 7:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Andrews
by on Apr. 21, 2011 at 8:07 PM

This is what I have so far. No IV, no vaginal exams, limited fetal monitoring, will be allowed to eat and drink freely, do not want to be on my back to birth. I also want to have a plan for myself of ways to cope and things to remember. I plan to let my body push and tell me when to push instead of letting them tell me I can or cannot push. Things like that.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Maternity tickers

4babyruth
by on Apr. 21, 2011 at 8:13 PM

Have u searched the group for prior threads with similar topic of discussion?

peanut06
by on Apr. 21, 2011 at 8:19 PM

Things like little/no EFM (external fetal monitor), no IV, no vaginal exams, no offering pain medicine, no episiotomy, NO COACHED PUSHING, pushing in whatever position is more comfortable, food and drinks allowed during labor as tolerated, placenta allowed to deliver on its own (without pitocin or "traction" unless true emergency), no stitching for less than 3rd degree tear (or whatever you're comfortable with), delaying cord cutting till ?, allowed to breastfeed immediately, no Vit K at birth (unless you prefer it, but if so, request oral over injection), no Hep B at birth (unless there are serious risks), no eye ointment, staying in your own clothes (if you prefer--there's a post somewhere on the benefits of it, one being about how the medical people treat you more like a sick person in a hospital if you are wearing hospital-issued clothes) .  And, have you looked into placenta encapsulation?  If that interests you, make sure to put it in the birth plan.

Also, strongly suggest pre-registering so you can fully read the consent form, crossing out and initialling all things outside your consent (and carrying at least 2 copies in your "birth" bag, too, so one isn't "lost").

I'm sure there are more, but I hear homemade pizza calling me :)

Mrs.Andrews
by on Apr. 21, 2011 at 8:25 PM

Thank you peanut! Enjoy your pizza. Very good idea on the pre-registering part. That one got me in trouble last time.

And yes baby ruth, I have and will use what I find there as well.

I'm also very in need of pain coping methods. I'm pretty much blanking there.

peanut06
by on Apr. 21, 2011 at 8:45 PM

Coping-wise, I loved, LOVED Hypnobirthing:  The Mongan Method during my drug-free birth, even though I only used maybe 2 of the techniques, one for relaxing when I realized it wasn't another round of prodromal labor (so, only once) and then the balloon visualization till I was ready to push :)

Roadfamily6now
by on Apr. 22, 2011 at 2:00 PM

Get a doula, seriously consider an out of hospital birth, take some bradley or brio birth classes, try the hypnobirthing suggested above.

mostlymaydays
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2011 at 2:06 PM
Is your practioner open-minded to your plans? It's heartbreaking to see moms here with the best if intentions who turn in their birth plans at 38 weeks only to find the doctor is forcing an IV, delivers with routine episiotomies and won't endure his own discomfort to allow a mom a position other than flat on her back. Despite going over most of this stuff with the OB w my first baby, the oncall dr delivered, walked in and introduced himself and cut an instant episiotomy, cut the baby's cord immediately himself and then yanked the placenta out by the cord. I don't think he knew my name let alone read my chart (I did NOT have a birth plan w that baby but I don't think he would have cared or read it. I was told this dr can't deliver a baby without the episiotomy)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RishawnsMom
by on Apr. 22, 2011 at 2:30 PM
Well I had 2 successful & beautiful natural births. I was in the hospital not at home but my midwives were the best. I did write out a birth plan & they followed it to a T. The ways I coped with my pain was I had a very limited amount of visitors. Majority of the time it was me & my husband. The lights were dim, I wasn't strapped to monitors so I could move around. I had different massagers for my back. I brought my own pillows from home so I could prop myself up when I laid down. I used the breathe in thru my nose out thru my mouth rhythm & as the contractions became more intense I moaned. I did deliver laying on my back because it felt the most comfortable to me. You will be able to feel everything from the baby dropping, the baby crowning (its the ring of fire..its burns a lot) I even felt my babies rotating after the head was delivered. It was a beautiful experience. Best of luck to you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pandapanda
by on Apr. 22, 2011 at 2:36 PM
Dimmed lights and silence helped me a lot. My nurse did start humming while I had her hold my hand and it was relaxing also. Maybe some quiet, soft music to listen to would be beneficial to you. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DixieFlower
by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 8:57 PM

Topics and discussions will be repeated several times throughout this group. We don't mind. Each situation is unique and not everyone is going to go digging through pages and pages of information that is months even years old. It never hurts to start the topic new.

Quoting 4babyruth:

Have u searched the group for prior threads with similar topic of discussion?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)