Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

"fight or flight" response

Posted by on Apr. 22, 2011 at 8:49 PM
  • 7 Replies

The Fear Tension Pain Cycle

By observing laboring women, Dr. Grantley Dick-Read theorized that the more fear a woman had, the more tense her body was and the more pain she felt during labor. But the muscular tension is not the only side effect of the fear that hinders labor.

When you experience fear, your body produces chemicals that change the way your body works. This response is generally termed the "fight or flight" response, and allows you to escape danger. It works by diverting blood away from the internal organs and out to the limbs to give you extra strength and speed. So right away, your uterus is trying to work with less oxygen.

The chemicals that are released also work to stop labor from happening. This may sound strange, but think about a wild animal laboring in the forest. If the animal senses danger, the "fight or flight" response can stop labor to allow the animal to retreat to a safe place. Once the danger is gone, labor resumes, the baby is born and both mother and baby are safe.

How does the fear tension pain cycle stop labor?

Basically, your uterus is not just one large muscle. It is made from two layers of muscles that run two different directions, one layer runs from the top to the bottom, the other around the sides. During labor the "top to bottom" muscles contract to push the baby down and pull the cervix back. After your baby is born the "around the sides" muscles contract to pull the cervix and uterus back into place.

The addition of the fear chemicals causes the "around the sides" muscles to contract during labor. In effect you have one muscle layer trying to open the cervix while one muscle layer tries to close the cervix. This makes for an extremely long, painful and unproductive labor.

What causes the fear tension pain cycle?

The bad news is that unlike a wild animal, humans do not need a threat to our existence to start the "fight or flight" response. Our highly developed brains allow us to be fearful of what COULD happen, not only what is happening. Many women begin their labors at a high stress level anyway, because they live their every day lives at such a heightened level of stress. Stress, anxiety, worry, fear; it doesn't matter what you call it, it can start the fear tension pain cycle in your labor.

Why makes fear tension pain a cycle?

The pain a woman experiences as a result of the stress, anxiety and fear only serves to confirm her deepest fears, that labor is horribly painful and she becomes more fearful of what lies ahead which leads to more pain - then more fear - then more pain. It is a vicious cycle that can be difficult to get out of.

by on Apr. 22, 2011 at 8:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
truealaskanmom
by on Apr. 22, 2011 at 9:21 PM

Im a fighter I will make my situation better lol 

doulala
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 1:33 AM

Quoting truealaskanmom:

Im a fighter I will make my situation better lol 

Mos def!!

wink mini

Roadfamily6now
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 2:57 AM

I think your next labor will be much better (not that you last was bad) but you worked through a lot of  fears last time which could be why there was a lot of pain/tension.  And now, you wont have to work through all that.  :)

truealaskanmom
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 4:02 PM

very true, I still had that little bit in the back of my mind that said maybe I HAD to have a c-section and that I was broken and I fought so hard through that, I felt like I was proving something not just relaxing and giving birth.  This time nothing to prove so I can sit back and enjoy the process.  I really doubt it will hurt much if at all this time.  

Quoting Roadfamily6now:

I think your next labor will be much better (not that you last was bad) but you worked through a lot of  fears last time which could be why there was a lot of pain/tension.  And now, you wont have to work through all that.  :)

rachelrothchild
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 5:08 PM

BUMP

Roadfamily6now
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 5:55 PM

BUMP!

DixieFlower
by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 8:30 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN