Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

WOW never thought I would get a response like this

Posted by   + Show Post

Ok so I posted a question on Cafemom answers board to see if anyone knew the answer because I'm interested. I'm guessing that was my first mistake.. Here is what my questions were

Ok so I am just wondering how it all works out if I have my baby at home unassisted. How do I go about getting social security card and birth certificate? Do I have the baby at home and then go to hospital for us both to be checked out? I'm just trying to figure if I am do this how it all works and stuff so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated..

The responses I got were kind of rude and made me a little upset. One person told me I was stupid and didn't deserve my children and needed to have them taken away. Another told me I had to go to the hospital because the baby absolutely had to have a Hep B shot.

So here I am asking the women who are educated and not going to call me names based on me wanting more info about a unassisted homebirth.

by on Apr. 22, 2011 at 8:55 PM
Replies (11-14):
peanut06
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 12:32 PM

Not to pick a fight, but midwives aren't allowed to attend homebirths in all states.  So, should women not have home births in states where midwives can't attend?  I've searched for months to find someone to attend in western Kentucky and not found anyone willing.  And, since there are no birthing centers, am I then stuck in the hospital with an OB?  Birth cannot be one size fits most.

Just some food for thought.

Quoting krayzbabylove:

I am all for home birth but you need to have a midwife there, just on case there is a complication ya know. If yoy choose not to, make sure you have very quick access to the hospital, and yes go in ASAP, after delivery

Learn your options in the Natural Birth group!

truealaskanmom
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 3:49 PM

Quoting krayzbabylove:

I am all for home birth but you need to have a midwife there, just on case there is a complication ya know. If yoy choose not to, make sure you have very quick access to the hospital, and yes go in ASAP, after delivery

What is a midwife going to do that a mother and father cannot do?? Just having her present makes it ok to stay home???  It really doesn't make much sense to me, if the birth went fine and mom and baby are fine there is absolutely no need to rush off to a hospital so they both can be mistreated.  Lots of women have UC births and often it is the only way they can birth the way they want and it isn't anymore dangerous if the parents know what they are doing and are prepared.  Birth is not an emergency and it is not a medical condition so there is no need to treat it as though it is.  

crgarcia294
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 8:39 PM

I agree child birth today is treated like a medical condition and it is not.. Women know their bodies and are able to tell for the most part if something is not right.. Why pay the extra money for a midwife when you can do it yourself and have that extra money to spend on your family.

DixieFlower
by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 8:26 PM

Just curious as to why a mom would need to go ASAP into the hospital if she had an uncomplicated birth, she's fine and baby's fine?

Quoting krayzbabylove:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN