Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

new here...and questions

Posted by on Apr. 22, 2011 at 10:13 PM
  • 6 Replies

Hi.  I'm new to this natural birth idea.... I'm 32 weeks along with my first, and until a few weeks ago thought that I'd just get an epidural and be good to go.  But now the more things I read and learn, the more frightnend I am by an epidural!  I'm also terrified (always have been) of a c-section and know that I want to do everything in my power NOT to have one.

Anyways, everyone I tell my new plan of a natural / non epidural birth to I get a "your crazy" look and talk.  I don't get it!  Is it really all that bad?  I have a very high pain tolerance anyways, and feel like this is something I need to do for me, and plus like I said an epidural scares the crap out of me.  Even my husband isn't sure I'm making the right decision.  How do I convince people especially my husband that this is the best route?

Also, I know many people of here are against inducing, but there is a possibility that I will have to induce... anyways, is it possible to be induced and still have a Natural birth?  or a CLOSE to natural birth?

THanks!

by on Apr. 22, 2011 at 10:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
BrittBratt
by Member on Apr. 22, 2011 at 10:18 PM
I have had FIVE babies...including a set of twins... With no pain meds. I'm a total wimp, too... You can def do it!!
There are people who are induced and still have a med free birth but I hear the contractions are much worse. I would advise against it unless your baby, or yourself, are in immediate danger. Inductions are risky for a number of reasons, the first being that these medications they use to induce labor are not made to be used for that purpose and can cause health issues with you and stress for the baby... And induction greatly increases the chance of having a c-section because you are forcing your body to do something it isn't ready to do.

Good luck!!
Mrs.Salz
by on Apr. 22, 2011 at 10:39 PM

It's really not THAT bad and is actually really fulfilling, IME.  I'm so glad I decided to go natural!

I would recommend watching The Business of Being Born (netflix or library) and Pregnant in America with your husband.  They're very insightful. 

doulala
by Gold Member on Apr. 22, 2011 at 10:43 PM

The point behind it all is health and safety.   When you are aware of when to intervene if needed, then you will know it's safer than remaining pregnant.
But how will you know when to intervene?

It's not "too" late to jump into self-educating and getting truly supported.
Your husband should jump on board to learn, too.   

Are you planning a hospital birth with an OB?

MeLyE.
by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 5:55 PM

Quoting doulala:

The point behind it all is health and safety.   When you are aware of when to intervene if needed, then you will know it's safer than remaining pregnant.

Yes I am going to be at a hospital with an OB.  I have a great OB and has made it clear that she will support the decision I make whether that be to get an epidural or to go completely natural.  Because of my insurance, this is usally very hard to find (military).

But like you said.. its about health and safety, which another reason I am going to be at a hospital.

MrsIngram
by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 6:04 PM
I would never have pitocin w.o. Epidural. I had pit w my first two and it was like being ripped apart. My third I had at home ...no pit. No pit made labour so manageable. The pain want bad at all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsIngram
by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 6:07 PM
Btw I had a homebirth. The sigma that hospitals are a place of glorified healers is bs. My home birth was much easier pregnancy labour and recovery and I have the healthiest diet thanks to my midwife. :)

Quoting MeLyE.:

Quoting doulala:

Yes I am going to be at a hospital with an OB.  I have a great OB and has made it clear that she will support the decision I make whether that be to get an epidural or to go completely natural.  Because of my insurance, this is usally very hard to find (military).

But like you said.. its about health and safety, which another reason I am going to be at a hospital.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)