Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

I'm new and here's why I'm here......

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 7:18 PM
  • 5 Replies

ok, here's the deal.  I have 3 boys and I tried to get a epi. with all three and they all failed.  The parts you want numb aren't, it confuses the nurses when they walk in...LOL, they see the bag but then here I am breathing and tapping the side of the bed and dealing with the pain.  Also the last time it took an HOUR and they couldn't even get it in right and they kept poking my SPINE!  uggg it was horrible........ANYWAY,  we plan on trying again for a girl so I'll be having another one.  I've always held out hope that one time the epi would work, but now I know it won't work so it's 100% natural for me.  What about the other pain meds? what are they and what are the side effects and how did you deal with pain without loosing your mind.  It's different when you KNOW you are going to have to do the whole thing with no help, then just kind of being thrown into it and just dealing with it.  I'm afraid that my mind with be really freaked out by the time it's time.  Sorry this is all over the place but I am a little scared, but I don't want to go through the aggravation and pain of another epi. that won't work, you know??  thanks for you help in advance ladies.  :)

by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 7:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
mostlymaydays
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2011 at 7:39 PM
I've always had problems with the thought of narcotics from an IV also being in my baby so that makes me even queasier than the thought of an epidural, though those drugs are also passing onto the baby. I've had 4 babies without any medication. I think if you are able to accept the feelings of labor as natural, then you aren't afraid. Fear can ruin you. I think one of the most important things is having the right people surrounding you: a supportive practioner, whether than is a midwife or the rare OB who supports natural birth, a supportive partner, and a doula if you can manage it. For me, being able to labor (then birth) in water has been my magic bullet. I can't imagine ever choosing to dry birth again if water existed as an option.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shell3m
by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 8:31 PM

Quoting mostlymaydays:

I've always had problems with the thought of narcotics from an IV also being in my baby so that makes me even queasier than the thought of an epidural, though those drugs are also passing onto the baby. I've had 4 babies without any medication. I think if you are able to accept the feelings of labor as natural, then you aren't afraid. Fear can ruin you. I think one of the most important things is having the right people surrounding you: a supportive practioner, whether than is a midwife or the rare OB who supports natural birth, a supportive partner, and a doula if you can manage it. For me, being able to labor (then birth) in water has been my magic bullet. I can't imagine ever choosing to dry birth again if water existed as an option.

thank you for your reply.  :)  I'm going to be limited on what I can do because of G.D., so I have to be at a hospital and hooked up.  I would love to be at home, but it's too dangerious.  There's a lot of different things I want to do while in labor but can't.  :(  I was on the fence on the other pain meds, but I don't think I will.  I'm going to need you ladies to help me stay strong and give some chuckles.  :)

Roadfamily6now
by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 8:48 PM

Welcome! It's nice to have some fresh faces to help out!

How far along are you?  how supportive is your OB of a natural birth? have you had a chance to tour the hospital?

I know you think that you will not be allowed to do a lot of stuff but in most cases you can. :)

Do you have a birth plan? Do you have a Doula?

mostlymaydays
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2011 at 8:52 PM
My 4 were all hospital. My first was at a high risk hospital w a "fancy" OB, definitely NOT a good place for a natural birth. They treated me like I was high risk, as they do all their patients. My second was the same hospital but crunchier midwives who respected my plans. My last 2 were born at slow, quiet community hospital w very natural midwife. I honestly can not imagine trying to have a natural birth once they start throwing in inductions, mandatory IVs and monitoring and being flat on your back in a bed. That's the most unnatural way to try a natural labor and birth! It CAN happen but being on your back is so painful. At no time in your pregnancy is it ok to lay flat on your back except for the hospital's convenience and access for labor and delivery.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aplusnumberone
by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 8:54 PM
GET A DOULA!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN