Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Should I get a 20 week ultrasound?

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2011 at 12:02 AM
  • 8 Replies

This is my first baby so I got an ultrasound really early, around 8 weeks.  Just to believe there was really a baby in there.  Everything was nomal then.  I am not so sure I want a 20 week untrasound though.  I am willing to get one (or maybe 2 if really necessary) more ultrasounds this pregnancy.  Should I wait until later when the baby is better developed?  If I only get one more ultrasound when should I have it done?

by on Apr. 28, 2011 at 12:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
amberpatterson
by on Apr. 28, 2011 at 12:07 AM

This is a personal decision. I, being a paranoid person would. Just to better rule out placenta previa and to ensure myself that there are enough fluids. I am all into natural, but when it comes to ultrasound I would rather get the sleep at night knowing what I can about certain things that an ultrasound helps us see. Ultimatly the decision is yours :) either way it'll be fine.

Roadfamily6now
by on Apr. 28, 2011 at 12:16 AM

I believe there is a special screening they do at the 20 weeks ultrasound.

I would do the 20 week one because after that the baby is just too big to get the right measurments done, I mean if you are okay with doing ultrasounds in the first place.  :)

http://www.insideradiology.com.au/pages/view.php?T_id=68

"who exactly are you upsetting? Cause if you are not upsetting anyone, you're not changing the staus quo!"   Seth Godin

Northern Blessings Doula     

VBAC Support and Information

Alaskan Surrogacy Resources

truealaskanmom
by on Apr. 28, 2011 at 12:23 AM

20 weeks is the most optimal time because the bones aren't hardened yet so they can see more in the scan to do a proper anatomy scan if that is what you want . Later will be less accurate because of size and bone hardness etc 

Pandapanda
by on Apr. 28, 2011 at 12:31 AM

I agree with the above. It's a personal decision, but if you were to have a mid/late pregnancy ultrasound, the 20wk anatomy scan is the best time to have it done. I will be having one.

doulala
by on Apr. 28, 2011 at 1:43 AM

I wouldn't do any at all unless I feel there is an indication.
If you are worried about something then the benefits may outweigh the risks.

Good luck!

Trailerparkmom
by on May. 5, 2011 at 12:15 AM

Well, I've decided to get the ultrasound after talking to my doctor today.  They normally suggest an early ultrasound and the 20 week one and then don't do any more unless there are abnormalites detected at the 20 week one.  So heres hoping that the ultrasound is totally normal!   

doulala
by on May. 5, 2011 at 12:50 AM

Quoting Trailerparkmom:

Well, I've decided to get the ultrasound after talking to my doctor today.  They normally suggest an early ultrasound and the 20 week one and then don't do any more unless there are abnormalites detected at the 20 week one.  So heres hoping that the ultrasound is totally normal!   

Good luck and let us know how it goes!!

:-D

Roadfamily6now
by on May. 5, 2011 at 2:23 AM

Thanks for the update!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN