Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

This week is the 2nd Annual Hemp History Week

Posted by on May. 3, 2011 at 10:37 AM
  • 7 Replies

Did You Know?

Industrial hemp has been grown in the U.S. since our founding fathers first sailed to our eastern shores. From the 1600s until about the 1850s, hemp was a staple crop, and at times farmers were even required to grow hemp. George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, John Adams, Henry Ford and many other notable Americans were actively engaged in, and openly advocated for, the commercial hemp industry. Throughout the centuries, hemp was handled by the government the same as any other farm crop, and the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) published numerous articles and worked to help American farmers understand the best ways to grow industrial hemp. Despite this history, hemp has been defined by the U.S. government as a narcotic drug since the 1937 Marihuana Tax Act was passed.

Even after hemp was effectively banned in this country, the USDA briefly brought it back during WWII, and American farmers grew over 150,000 acres in just two years. American history is intertwined with hemp farming, and the evidence is ample. There are towns called "Hempfield" and "Hempstead" and a state called "New Hampshire." There are abandoned hemp processing mills from WWII. There are newspaper articles from 150 years ago which talk about hemp.

Hemp History Week

So what are your thoughts about hemp? I recently started drinking hemp milk and I absolutely love it. Not to mention the benefits of it.

by on May. 3, 2011 at 10:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
4babyruth
by on May. 3, 2011 at 2:16 PM

Yep yep maybe n the future like the past we will b able to pay our taxes with hemp again. Read about it b4 u judge. N remember when u point your finger there r three pointing back at ya!

Roadfamily6now
by on May. 3, 2011 at 2:31 PM

I have no issues with hemp or marijuana. :)

rachelrothchild
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2011 at 4:55 PM

I think hemp is a good product, with great health benefits.

pixiefunk
by on May. 3, 2011 at 4:58 PM

bleh on the help milk but think it could be so useful

Roadfamily6now
by on May. 4, 2011 at 2:44 AM

You know it's legal to grow up to 24 plants per adult here in Alaska.

Just saying.

Pandapanda
by on May. 4, 2011 at 3:46 AM
California is a "medical marijuana" state.. you could have an acre of pot plants and the authorities wouldn't blink an eye. It's something that's unenforced here, so you always hear of people raving about loving the benefits. It can be useful. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
peanut06
by on May. 4, 2011 at 9:47 PM

*Thinks it's crap that we can't grow it, but it's perfectly legal to buy its by-products, which, because of the no-growing here, must travel MANY miles to reach us*

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)