Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Hey! I'm knew who are you! Hehe

Posted by on May. 4, 2011 at 5:01 AM
  • 15 Replies
Hi everyone I'm 19 and I'm 15 weeks 4 days pregnant. This will be my first and I already know I wanna try natural birth! But my family and friends are not supportive at alll! They think I'm a foolish kid.. :( so I'm here for support and info!

My birth plan so far. ( I don't know much about any of this so this is just seeing what everyone thinks I've talked to a nurse a little)

I would like to have my contractions in a tub until I'm no longer allowed to be in the tub ( not allowed to have water birth at this hospital) and then give birth on a bed. The nurse says also this way if I can't handle it I can get an epi. I have a low pain tolerance so I don't know if I can handle it? But I'm hopping I can!

What do u think? Foolish or good?
by on May. 4, 2011 at 5:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DixieFlower
by on May. 4, 2011 at 7:05 AM

First I'd look into finding a doula in your area. If money is a concern still talk to them most will reduce their fees or attend a birth for free. Secondly, when the hospital I have had both my births at had a tub they had the same guideline about birthing in the tub. However, there were a few "opps" births in it. Next research research research natural pain management. Pain in childbirth is our ques to change position/ do things differently so we can birth our children. Do you have to give birth in the bed? You could refuse to get into the bed and birth in what position feels best for you. Talk with your OB. Ask if they have delivered in any position but lithomy. The OB I have has and she will even encourage mom to get on all fours when she notices mom is having a problem pushing.

Kittykattkate
by on May. 4, 2011 at 8:01 AM
Thank you very much for your advice and imput!

Quoting DixieFlower:

First I'd look into finding a doula in your area. If money is a concern still talk to them most will reduce their fees or attend a birth for free. Secondly, when the hospital I have had both my births at had a tub they had the same guideline about birthing in the tub. However, there were a few "opps" births in it. Next research research research natural pain management. Pain in childbirth is our ques to change position/ do things differently so we can birth our children. Do you have to give birth in the bed? You could refuse to get into the bed and birth in what position feels best for you. Talk with your OB. Ask if they have delivered in any position but lithomy. The OB I have has and she will even encourage mom to get on all fours when she notices mom is having a problem pushing.

crgarcia294
by on May. 4, 2011 at 9:40 AM

There is a really good book called Ina May's Guide to Childbirth. Many women on here will recommend this book and I just finished it myself and it is eye opening and helps every woman understand labor and delivery in the way it was ment to be seen/thought of. This is my second baby and my first was a horrible experience because I didnt research and I wasn't firm with my birth plan. So yes RESEARCH is very important. Good luck

thinkingmom2be
by on May. 4, 2011 at 10:13 AM

Hi, Congrats and welcome to the group - I don't see how anyone could think it is foolish to consider your options and have a plan.  Other good books in addition to one reccomended by PP are The thinking woman's guide to a better birth (Hencie Goer) and Hypnobirthing.  You will find lots of great info during your research that will help you with the choices you will be making and you can quote them to those who are less than supportive.  You may be surprised that some just aren't aware and may change thier mind and become supportive after all.

doulala
by on May. 4, 2011 at 1:51 PM

Glad you are here!!

No. it is VERY WISE to want to avoid unnecessary risks to you and your baby!

determinedhbac
by on May. 4, 2011 at 2:04 PM

I wish you all of the best. The best support you can get is the belief in yourself!!! I support you. Welcome. I am new too, just found this group a little late in my pregnancy. I agree to try to find a doula, I wanted a VBAC and my DR was completely supportive until today.... So I am very confused and bummed.

SaraR216
by on May. 4, 2011 at 2:11 PM

I believe our bodies were meant to deliver our babies naturally. And that it is healthiest and safest for mom and baby. Not foolish at all! I am nervous about natural child birth but am doing all of the research and planning to prepare for a natural birth :) good luck and congrats!

Roadfamily6now
by on May. 4, 2011 at 2:43 PM

Welcome Welcome! If you really want to throw your family for a loop, look into having a Midwife for your care provider. It might be interesting to have at least one visit with one so you can compare the type of care between an OB and a Midwife.

Midwives work in hospitals settings, free standing birth centers and also do homebirths.

Good Luck! We are happy to have you! There is another first time mom here as well.:)

mrschelley1219
by Member on May. 4, 2011 at 2:55 PM
I agree with Sara. This is my first time and not a lot of people are supportive of me not wanting drugs. But my Hubby is and my dad is, those two matter the most to me. Congrats. I say just read as much as you can, find a local birth network if available, contact local doulas or midwifes about local Lamaze or childbirth classes.

Quoting SaraR216:

I believe our bodies were meant to deliver our babies naturally. And that it is healthiest and safest for mom and baby. Not foolish at all! I am nervous about natural child birth but am doing all of the research and planning to prepare for a natural birth :) good luck and congrats!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SrkStrickland
by Member on May. 4, 2011 at 5:28 PM

No woman is foolish! Don't listen to your family. I too have a very unsupportive family, thank goodness at least my husband is on board. It sounds like the hospital your looking at is more lenient than the ones in my area. That's good you can at least be in a tub for labor. Personally, I have had 3 traumatizing hospital births so I'm not even going to bother going to the hospital with this one. I am in my 15th week also :) Welcome to the group! Hope you have the labor you're dreaming of. Oh and don't let ANYONE get to you!! People will try and bring you down. It helps to be a part of groups like this so you can be reminded you're doing this for the right reasons and you're not crazy like those people will say :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN