Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hi everyone I'm 19 and I'm 15 weeks 4 days pregnant. This will be my first and I already know I wanna try natural birth! But my family and friends are not supportive at alll! They think I'm a foolish kid.. :( so I'm here for support and info!

My birth plan so far. ( I don't know much about any of this so this is just seeing what everyone thinks I've talked to a nurse a little)

I would like to have my contractions in a tub until I'm no longer allowed to be in the tub ( not allowed to have water birth at this hospital) and then give birth on a bed. The nurse says also this way if I can't handle it I can get an epi. I have a low pain tolerance so I don't know if I can handle it? But I'm hopping I can!

What do u think? Foolish or good?
by on May. 4, 2011 at 5:01 AM
Replies (11-15):
DixieFlower
by on May. 4, 2011 at 7:33 PM

Do you have a local ICAN chapter? If so try and see if they have any local doctors they reccomend for VBAC's.

Quoting determinedhbac:

I wish you all of the best. The best support you can get is the belief in yourself!!! I support you. Welcome. I am new too, just found this group a little late in my pregnancy. I agree to try to find a doula, I wanted a VBAC and my DR was completely supportive until today.... So I am very confused and bummed.

peanut06
by on May. 4, 2011 at 9:20 PM

Congrats on choosing the natural birth, shows how mature you already are!!  Making the decision takes the most effort LOL  Definitely good start!  Is there, by chance, a midwife you an see instead of doctor, though?  Or a birthing center not in a hospital, as the birthing center would probably let you birth IN the tub if you chose?    I agree to read Ina's Guide to Childbirth and Hypnobirthing.  The hypno helped me; L&D nurses joked about how easy it looked and they couldn't believe I was actually in labor at first. 

Also, read up on epidurals and convince yourself there is NO amount of discomfort worth having a hole added to your back (and look at the needle they stick in there).  For me, the road to natural started with hating the idea of epidural so that I could mentally eliminate it as even a possibility, then all the health benefits of avoiding it came later.  And, later still, I added the dangers of pitocin and stadol to my list so I could avoid those.  And not letting them "break the water" is something I'll add for/if there's a next time :)

Clara

Learn your options in the Natural Birth group!

rachelrothchild
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2011 at 9:38 PM

Welcome, and no, you are not foolish at all.  We're here to help, and you can do it!

HippiePhun
by on May. 5, 2011 at 12:03 PM

Education yourself in the natural birth area......positive, postivie, postive......is key. Take a class.....I'm a bit older then you but otherwise same story when we were around the same pregnancy time line......we've learned so much and its awesome! We took a hypnobirthing class....WONDERFUL.....wish we could take a Bradley Method class....but due to money.....I'm going to the library to check out a book instead! As well as conversing with others and absorbing their knowledge. READ.....so many awesome books out there. Join groups of mothers with the like mind. Key is knowledge.....like anything when you know more about it, the more confortable and confident you are! Good luck!

jazacher
by on May. 5, 2011 at 12:36 PM

Sounds simple. Look online for birth plan ideas. Also, I have a horrid fear of needles. (counseling has helped) but labor pain, when you know how to USE it, is totally do able because of the endorphins. I did Bradley method, you can do it without a hubby, I'm not rich so the money was tough, but entirely worth it. 

breech baby 2006, twins 2011 -au natural in hospital

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)