Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

I was all exited for my midwife appointment yesterday and then about an hour before I got a call from my sister.  She had a very unpleasant birth experience 2 years ago that resulted in a C-section and now if I sound the slightest bit exited about my upcoming event she just can’t seem to stop herself from being negative.  When I first told her we were planning a hotel birth her comment was “what about all the screaming?” She also does not really understand what a MW is and she can’t seem to understand that hypno-birthing is a childbirth preparation technique.

She still continues to make skeptical comments which I usually just blow off but yesterday was by far the worst.  When I told her how exited we were about our 2 day getaway plan (the hotel birth) and that I had a MW appointment coming up she said – "Oh do you mean your hypnotist?  You know maybe a midwife could have helped me avoid going to the hospital too early but I am really lucky because if I were one of those women years ago I probably would have died". 

Honestly I don’t even think she considered what she was saying to me and how it might make me feel - I am due in 3 weeks.

It put me in such a bad funk and I am just now starting to be able to shake it off.  I need a good plan to deal with her negativity without starting a fight or worrying about changing her mind.  I just need a way I can make sure I don’t let it get to me or that I can somehow let her know nicely that I don’t need to hear stuff like that.

by on May. 5, 2011 at 9:55 AM
Replies (11-12):
thinkingmom2be
by on May. 7, 2011 at 9:57 AM

Quoting Roadfamily6now:

Do you think she would be open to meeting your midwife and attending one of your prenatal appointments?

What a great idea but sadly no - she lives very far away from me.

thinkingmom2be
by on May. 7, 2011 at 10:00 AM

Quoting MamaKalila:

Hugs... are you doing Hypnobabies or another form? I ask because I did Hypnobabies and there's a script for calming/shielding you from negativity. I used it a lot lol...

Wow that sounds like a great one.  I am doing Hypnobirthing and so far have mostly used relaxing and releasing fears scripts.  My last class is this morning and I will ask my instructor but I have not seen a script on this.  If you have a link or copy that would be fantastic!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)