Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

sleep aid??

Posted by on May. 6, 2011 at 8:52 PM
  • 16 Replies

anything natural I can try to help me sleep at night I am not sleeping well at all, but I won't take drugs because Briar and I just don't like to 

by on May. 6, 2011 at 8:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pandapanda
by on May. 6, 2011 at 9:04 PM

Warm tea before bed, maybe? I know it always knocks me out. I know you can take melatonin, but I don't think I'd take it while nursing without talking to an herbalist.

doulala
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2011 at 10:20 PM

BT tea is good, Rescue Remedy makes a homeopathic that is great, no sweets or screens in the evening/bedtime (or caffeine, duh), reading boring books, a snack by the bed so hunger does wake you up too much/have to get up, a night-lite in the bathroom so you don't have to turn on bright lights, good mattress-pillows, and in the end a half glass of beer or wine is safer than sleep meds so... there is that, too.

Do you have a hard time getting to sleep or do you wake a lot at night?   Night nursing?

"The traditional midwife believes that birth proceeds in a spiral fashion: labor starts, stops and starts, while the baby goes down, up and down, and the cervix opens, closes and opens.   Nature has no design for failure; she holds her own meaning for success."Sher Willis

truealaskanmom
by on May. 6, 2011 at 10:38 PM

I cant fall asleep and I wake up a lot and no night nursing he is sleeping through the night and I have to pee soooo much at night I don't know where it comes from I quit drinking about an hour before bed what is BT tea?  where do I get rescue remedy? 

erinmidwife
by on May. 6, 2011 at 10:50 PM

You can try:

Calcium/magnesium before bed

Drinking a nerve tonic tea through the day: lemon balm, chamomile

Bedtime teas: skullcap, passionflower, chamomile, hops, valerian, california poppy, etc.

truealaskanmom
by on May. 6, 2011 at 11:03 PM

Thanks a bunch do you think my herbalist will be able to put one together for me? 

Quoting erinmidwife:

You can try:

Calcium/magnesium before bed

Drinking a nerve tonic tea through the day: lemon balm, chamomile

Bedtime teas: skullcap, passionflower, chamomile, hops, valerian, california poppy, etc.

erinmidwife
by on May. 6, 2011 at 11:10 PM

That's what herbalists do! Yes! :)

doulala
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2011 at 11:49 PM

Sorry!   I meant "bedtime" tea-(**but read this link)-   already blended and sold for that purpose, but if you want to make your own that's probably better.
I get Rescue Remedy from naturally-minded food stores, but even our local "conventional" supermarket sells it.    With the herbal supplements.    But you could order it, too~

You can't help the peeing too much, you have a little fetus down low, pressing into your bladder.    You can decrease fluids  in the evening...   but your bladder might not be able to hold much & your body will be constantly filtering/creating more urine.  

Quoting truealaskanmom:

I cant fall asleep and I wake up a lot and no night nursing he is sleeping through the night and I have to pee soooo much at night I don't know where it comes from I quit drinking about an hour before bed what is BT tea?  where do I get rescue remedy? 

Birth is not only about making babies. Birth is about making mothers ~ strong, competent, capable mothers who trust themselves and know their inner strength.

~Barbara Katz Rothma

When you change the way you view birth, the way you birth will change. -Mongan

truealaskanmom
by on May. 6, 2011 at 11:53 PM

I also think part of the problem is the sunshine we don't have blackouts in our bedroom and we keep putting it off so the sun is up at 4ish and down at midnightish so it makes it hard to turn it off

doulala
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2011 at 12:38 AM

ooohh, yahhh.   That would factor in!

;-)

Roadfamily6now
by on May. 7, 2011 at 2:28 AM

Put up some thick fabric or tin foil on your windows girl!

Tammy

ICAN of Anchorage

Chapter Leader

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)