Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Reasons NOT to use placenta encapsulation?

Posted by on May. 6, 2011 at 8:52 PM
  • 3 Replies

(please excuse any typos as my 9 month old ds is trying to explore the keyboard as I type hile he also naks lOL) 

I've tried to contaact 4 different placenta encapsulation services now about what conditions would make PE less than safe for some individuals.  I take blood thinners during pregnancy because of APS--antiphospholipid antibody syndrome.  It just seems NO ONE wants to check their email :(  Any of you ladies know of a list of diseases or medications that might give pause on deciding what to do with the placenta?  I know the molecular weight of heparin and lovenox is supposed to be safer than a few others because it supposedly doesn't cross the placenta.  But, since it supposedly stops at the placenta, would it affect using the placenta later (i.e., increase pp bleeding instead of allowing the hormones to help stop it?)

Not exactly something that comes up very often for these places, I gues?S120000000.356535424  (<

THanks!

Clara

eccentric.gif picture by lilbean08  stewie2218814qr.gif picture by lilbean08 blinkies.gif picture by lilbean08
childletparenting.gif picture by lilbean08
Happy momma to two sweet daughters and one dear son

by on May. 6, 2011 at 8:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Pandapanda
by on May. 6, 2011 at 8:54 PM

No clue hun, bump!

truealaskanmom
by on May. 6, 2011 at 9:13 PM

I don't know for sure but I know that drugs that are known to build up over time, and blood diseases like hepatitis, HIV etc 

peanut06
by on May. 7, 2011 at 10:53 AM

I'm not one for a ton of government involvement in normal things, like birth and death, and that's probably a similar attitude amongst us natural birthers.  It might be why PE hasn't been studied more--fear of what the government might say if it were studied (Oh, well, we see that xyz happened # times, so let's start slapping labels on your PE capsules...)  But, for some of us, it might be nice to have easily accessible information on this stuff.

I'm not going to be too heartbroken if I can't take the PE capsules; after all, there are nice alternatives like planting it with a tree.  But, I'd just like to know, ya know?  It's aggrevating to pour your heart on in an email to a random service, several times, and NO one respond, not even a simple "we just don't know."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)