Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is there a way to avoid getting pitocin?

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:55 AM
  • 11 Replies

My last 3 son's i always had pitocin . 

I'm trying to have a natural birth this time. is there any way to avoid the pitocin. 

When its given to me it ends up with my getting a Epi. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 10:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rachelrothchild
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:00 AM

Say NO

joyful_mama
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:11 AM

Wait for labor to begin spontaneously and then wait to go to the hospital until you are in active labor. And then just decline if the OB wants to give it to you. Also, don't let them break your water, because then you are 'on the clock'.

cheerio1
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:14 AM

You can refuse it.. Just make your wishes very clear.  I would also have someone with you who knows what you want and keep an eye on your IV.  A friend of mine was hooked up to pit while she was sleeping and no one told her or asked her...

doulala
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:51 PM

Why do you want it?
It will be great for you to research when to choose it (or decline).
Then you can discuss those reasons with your care provider, put them into your Birth Plan, have your SO, support team, and birth doula on the same page with you, to help you achieve your preferences.

Pitocin is risky and common.
You have the Right to decline it any time.
Having help (advocate) there with you makes these things easier~

Just as a woman’s heart knows,

How and when to pump,

Her lungs to inhale,

And her hand to pull back from fire,

So she knows when and how to give birth.

- Virginia Di

ICAN

Roadfamily6now
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 3:13 PM

I agree with the other ladies.

For me, once a client has decided she does not want to be given pitocin, I advise her to not get the IV. With the IV you have given the staff free access to your veins. They can and do put medications into your IV lines all the time, with or without your permission and sometimes even without your knowledge.

Most hospitals will tell you it's hospital policy to get an IV line but it is optional. If it looks like it will become a fight, you can compromise with a HepLock or Saline Lock, which is just the IV started in your hand or arm and it's not connected to any thing. It's capped off and can be used in an emergency or if you and your care provider decide later to use pitocin or other IV administered Drugs.

Good for you for looking at all possibilities! :) Good Luck!

Mrs.Salz
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 4:03 PM

Consider an out of hospital birth :)

I love the website www.givingbirthnaturally.com... lots of easy to read info.

mom3bc
by on Jul. 13, 2011 at 10:03 AM

With my last son my Water broke at home and no contractions... So they said my water could not be broke for so long so they started the pictocin to get things started. 

M.kadester.J
by on Jul. 13, 2011 at 12:01 PM

The water broken with no contractions for too long (usualy a very small amount of time) is a hospital thing. Once your water breaks insert NOTHING into the vagina (that means no vaginal checks)... I have some info on it but its on my other computer.

But just say no, they work for YOU its not the other way around. You make the decissions... Ive seen a few of your posts, it seams you would like a natural birth but maybe are still clinging on to hospital proceduers, maybe a little fear? Have you considered a natural childbirth class or having a doula to help you with your decissions!

Roadfamily6now
by on Jul. 13, 2011 at 1:31 PM

bump

DixieFlower
by on Jul. 13, 2011 at 8:00 PM

I had PROM with my first son. Contractions didn't start until about 5/6 hrs after it broke. I did end up with pitocin but only after I'd asked for the Epi. The Epi completely stopped my labor. Before the epidural though my OB never mentioned pit for the contractions. She told me we would just monitor for infection. If there isn't any infection there isn't anything to worry about. I think the studies I've seen say that once water breaks that contractions will typically start within 24-48 hrs if mom is left alone.

Quoting mom3bc:

With my last son my Water broke at home and no contractions... So they said my water could not be broke for so long so they started the pictocin to get things started. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)