Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

membrane swipe ?

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:01 AM
  • 14 Replies

Would that be taking away from me having a Natural Birth ... Is there any benefits to is? 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pandapanda
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:43 AM
Doing a membrane sweep introduces bacteria, can cause uncomfy contractions that go nowhere, and is (imo) false hope. Just be patient! The more you intervine in your body's process, the farther from natural you will end up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dhiannian
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 11:46 AM

I would not do it. I had it done twice with my last pregnancy, the second time my ob was pretty rough, and my water broke within hrs of having it done, no contractions though.

It really hurts bad and you cramp and spot for awhile after too.

Mrs.Salz
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 12:55 PM

Your water can be broken accidentally or "accidentally" during the procedure.

If labor hasn't started it's because your baby is not ready to come out.

doulala
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:25 PM

There are risks & benefits...

What is your Reason for wanting it done?

If it induces your labor then you have started labor by intervention & not spontaneously--  I do not consider this "natural."

Roadfamily6now
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:48 PM

Quoting doulala:

There are risks & benefits...

What is your Reason for wanting it done?

If it induces your labor then you have started labor by intervention & not spontaneously--  I do not consider this "natural."

I agree. Definitely ask yourself why and why not. Find out the risks and benefits of either choice.

Tammy

ICAN of Anchorage

Chapter Leader

RishawnsMom
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:56 PM

I had it done with both my babies.  The first time my dr suggested it.  I had begun to dilate and she just mentioned it to me.  At the time, the thought of going into labor within 48 hours sounded really good to me.  I was tired and the excitement  of pregnancy was long gone.  And thats exactly what happened.  She stripped me on Friday and I went into labor Sunday morning.  With my second, I was already in labor and was 5 cm and my water hadnt broken yet so she stripped them and my water broke after that.  I was still able to have a natural birthing experience with no meds.  Although I do agree with the other ladies, its not completely a "natural" birth if you intervene in any way.

HippiePhun
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 12:43 PM

To me it would add more risks then benefits...why not let your body and baby decided....that's how I view it! And keeping it all together until the time is ready is more benefiical to momma and baby.....comfort wise for sure!

DixieFlower
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 7:20 PM

While the situations are rare there are times where an induction is needed. In those then the benefit does outweigh the risks.

Quoting HippiePhun:

To me it would add more risks then benefits...why not let your body and baby decided....that's how I view it! And keeping it all together until the time is ready is more benefiical to momma and baby.....comfort wise for sure!

Roadfamily6now
by on Jul. 10, 2011 at 7:49 PM

bump

truealaskanmom
by on Jul. 10, 2011 at 8:34 PM

The funny thing is people don't realize that stripping the membranes can actually cause the opposite effect than attended the cervix can be so overly irritated it will close up tight

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)