Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3rd pregnancy, 1st natural birth.

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:11 PM
  • 3 Replies

I really want to go drug free this time. Im so scared though. Mainly cause i had back labor and it took alot out of me...The hospital i will be delivering at has one room with a tub..

BabyFetus Ticker

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
doulala
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:35 PM

Great news, congrats!
You can work to avoid back labor & posterior baby this go-around.
And have some help in the event it should happen;  consider a doula to help.

If a natural birth is important there are good things to be aware of that really factor in to success.
Who you hire can be your greatest risk factor.
The birth setting can inhibit natural birth.
Your support group around you.
Your confidence; trust in the normal process.

:-)

Roadfamily6now
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:49 PM

Welcome!

I HATE back labor! I feel most of my labor in my lower back as well. They say this is from positioning of the baby (posterior) but I don't know how I could have had 5 posterior babies!!!

Anyway, there are things you can do to help limit/relieve/elliminate the lower back pains.

First, water! do your best to get the room with the tub! (first you might want to ask them honestly, how often do they let women even use the tub? because from my experience, the tubs in hospitals are mostly for show)

Stay off your back! It's crucial that you stay off your back while in labor. Walk, stand, sway, birthing ball, hands and knees, squat, lunge, etc are all excellent ways of keeping pressure off your back and also helping baby to get into a better position if indeed they are posterior.

COUNTER PRESSURE! This is where your support person comes in. They will be doing a TON of counter pressure on your lower back. Also you can incorperate some tennisballs (2 in a sock) to roll up and down your back. It feels amazing.  And rice socks or heating pads to place on your lower back.

Rebozo is also a good one. There is not a lot of information out there on this but if you search You Tube for Rebozo, you will find a few videos on how to do it.

DixieFlower
by on Jul. 9, 2011 at 8:26 PM

My first son turned posterior during labor. A rolling pin going up and down the small of my back was absolutely heaven. The room I had didn't have a tub but the shower head was hand held so I had DH hold it right at the small of my back. The advice to stay off your back is another good one. That's what got me everytime when they were doing the EFM's. The contractions were awful in the bed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)