Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Good book/video recommendations?

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2007 at 10:27 PM
  • 11 Replies
Knowledge is power~ with birth this is certainly true. Educating ourselves is key to success. Do you have favorite books or videos? Please share with us!

Some of my favorite books include: Ina May's Guide To Childbirth, The Thinking Woman's Guide To A Better Birth, Birthing From Within, and Spiritual Midwifery (I love how inspirational all the birth stories are). I love the DVDs: "Birth Day" and "Psalm & Zoya, The Unassisted Homebirth Of My Twins."
by on Nov. 9, 2007 at 10:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
doulala
by Gold Member on Nov. 11, 2007 at 3:21 AM
I also like Pregnancy, Childbirth & The Newborn and The Birth Partner, too. :)
OilyMom
by on Nov. 16, 2007 at 12:57 AM
I like all things Henci Goer.
And another little mentioned book called "Mind over Labor" by Carl Jones....one of the original childbirth educators who started publicizing america's birth stats in the 80's. Anyway - this particular book deals with the mental and emotional changes a woman experiences while in labor and has some amazing guided imagery/visualization exercises in them....truly wonderful. It's short and easy to read and one of my favs.
The other book I want to mention is relatively unknown but called "Nurturing Touch" by - oh dear it's eluded me at the moment....Polly or Penny....oh dear. Anyway - she's a doula educator and amazingly inspirational woman and the book is fantastically full of information on ways to support a mother during labor....chock full of tips from years of experience and REAL photos.

Angela <><
doulala
by Gold Member on Dec. 16, 2007 at 4:04 PM
And Gentle Birth Choices (book and DVD), of course! I got the set from the library!
MyspaceKitKat
by on Dec. 17, 2007 at 5:11 AM
Well, I just got "Pushed" and "Born in the USA: How a Broken Maternity System needs to be Fixed to put Women and Children First" in the mail.  I started with "Born..." and am intrigued.  I think EVERYONE should be required to read this, especially if they put faith solely in their doctor.  Wagner does an excellent job of explaining (sometimes in too much detail) how warped ACOG is and what you are REALLY signing up for when you take your normal low risk pregnancy to a surgeon (ob).
doulala
by Gold Member on Dec. 17, 2007 at 4:21 PM
I am rereading Tina Cassidy's Birth; The History Of How We Are Born. I read it a year ago and need a refresher. It got a bad rap by many and I defended it, but want to remind myself why... LOL! Anyone else read Birth?? What books on this subject do you mamas like??
doulala
by Gold Member on Dec. 17, 2007 at 4:23 PM
Quoting MyspaceKitKat:

Well, I just got "Pushed" and "Born in the USA: How a Broken Maternity System needs to be Fixed to put Women and Children First" in the mail.  I started with "Born..." and am intrigued.  I think EVERYONE should be required to read this, especially if they put faith solely in their doctor.  Wagner does an excellent job of explaining (sometimes in too much detail) how warped ACOG is and what you are REALLY signing up for when you take your normal low risk pregnancy to a surgeon (ob).

I haven't read those yet. I'm going to the library site to reserve them right now. Katie did you read Birth? (What are you doing UP at that hour??)
MyspaceKitKat
by on Dec. 19, 2007 at 2:27 AM
I never sleep...seriously.

I haven't read that one.  I have such a long list.  I want to start working as an apprentice midwife around the time alex turns one (depending on how he is and such) and so Christy has recommended I fill my head.  lol. 
Quoting doulala:

Quoting MyspaceKitKat:

Well, I just got "Pushed" and "Born in the USA: How a Broken Maternity System needs to be Fixed to put Women and Children First" in the mail. I started with "Born..." and am intrigued. I think EVERYONE should be required to read this, especially if they put faith solely in their doctor. Wagner does an excellent job of explaining (sometimes in too much detail) how warped ACOG is and what you are REALLY signing up for when you take your normal low risk pregnancy to a surgeon (ob).

I haven't read those yet. I'm going to the library site to reserve them right now. Katie did you read Birth? (What are you doing UP at that hour??)

doulala
by Gold Member on Dec. 19, 2007 at 2:34 AM
The library will email me when my books-on-hold are in... yayy! Do you watch birth videos, too, Katie?
MyspaceKitKat
by on Dec. 19, 2007 at 2:37 AM
On youtube, I don't actually rent any.
Quoting doulala:

The library will email me when my books-on-hold are in... yayy! Do you watch birth videos, too, Katie?

doulala
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2008 at 7:46 PM
I'm reading Pushed now, finally!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)