Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

i need natural advice.... diapers!!

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:42 AM
  • 16 Replies

Ok so I have never been a Natural kindda girl but after much information my husband and I have come to the conclution we want to change our lives and live better so to start off I know this is going to sound dumb but can any one give me info on cloth diapers

were do u get them? how do u use them? are they reusable? how do u clean them? how much are they?? what are they made of??

I know these may be dumb questions but they are real questions thanks in advance for answers

ok thought of same more questions sorry how long can they use the diapers for like I change my kids ever 2 to 4 hrs depending on how wet or poo they are

and what if they have diarreah???

TOGETHER: September 14 2003

RAUL JERRIMIAH: November 21 2004 / JULLIAN: September 09 2006

JACOB: November 6 2011

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pregnantgirl361
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:44 AM

BUMP!

pregnantgirl361
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:46 AM

Im dont have any answers except one they are reusable. I have some but havent used them yet. There are no dumb questions either.

hriabywx4
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:48 PM
there are cloth diapering groups here that he tons of info. It can get confusing because now there are many, many options out there. You don't even have to use pins anymore! Also you can google cloth diapers there are an amazing amount of places/people that sell them. As far as cleaning them, if baby poos you remove as much poo as possible ( there are several ways to go about that) store in a container and then wash. Most wash every other day. There are tutorials/ advice on how to do that out there too! I have cloth diapered my 12 year old and my 4 year old and will be CDing our new LO too. I plan on spending approx $300 to get what I need to restart (I got rid of all mine!) I may spend a bit more but the savings are still HUGE! Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hriabywx4
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 12:50 PM
Sorry for typos...mobile! :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrs_smiph
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:08 PM

were do u get them? You can order them online or go to BabiesRUs or another baby store in your area.  how do u use them?  You can get all sorts of different diapers.  Usually, buy the diapers (sometimes inserts, sometimes snappies) and covers (to prevent leaks).  You can buy disposable liners (I'm not a fan.) or washable liners/diapers.  The inserts stuff inside the covers and the snappies snap on the baby first then you put the cover over it.  When the baby wets or soils the diaper, remove it and rinse it in the toilet (if need be).  I changed DD right in the bathroom.  They make hoses that attach to the toilet tank so that you can spray the diaper with water to help get any sticky mess off.  You can find those at BabiesRUs too.  Make a special pile of diaper laundry and depending on how many diapers you have, you can wash them daily or every other day. are they reusable?  Yes, unless you get the disposible liners (which I don't recommend, but some people like them).  how do u clean them? You can wash them (by themselves - diapers and covers only) in warm/hot water with a gentle or free and clear detergent and dry them in the dryer.  how much are they??  Various prices.  Usually you can get a "set" (the number of diapers and covers vary per set) of cloth for $50-70.  what are they made of??  You can find them made of cotton, hemp, bamboo or microfibers.

I know these may be dumb questions but they are real questions thanks in advance for answers  No question is dumb.

ok thought of same more questions sorry how long can they use the diapers for like I change my kids ever 2 to 4 hrs depending on how wet or poo they are.  Usually it's best to change them right after they pee or soil the diaper.  With disposibles, it's ok to wait after a few times urinating because the moisture is wicked away so quickly but with cloth, the moisture stays close to their skin.  But then again, cloth is better because they don't contain the harmful chemicals that disposibles do.

and what if they have diarreah???  Usually the cover is snug enough to contain the mess and the clean up is no different.  Maybe, be sure to lay another cloth underneath the baby before you change him so the mess doesn't get on the floor, etc.

Good luck!

thundersky
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 1:38 PM

Quoting mrs_smiph:

were do u get them? You can order them online or go to BabiesRUs or another baby store in your area.  you can also make them. there are many patters online fro them. that is if you are handy with a sewing maching.how do u use them?  You can get all sorts of different diapers.  Usually, buy the diapers (sometimes inserts, sometimes snappies) and covers (to prevent leaks).  You can buy disposable liners (I'm not a fan.) or washable liners/diapers.  The inserts stuff inside the covers and the snappies snap on the baby first then you put the cover over it.  When the baby wets or soils the diaper, remove it and rinse it in the toilet (if need be).  I changed DD right in the bathroom.  They make hoses that attach to the toilet tank so that you can spray the diaper with water to help get any sticky mess off.  You can find those at BabiesRUs too.  Make a special pile of diaper laundry and depending on how many diapers you have, you can wash them daily or every other day. are they reusable?  Yes, unless you get the disposible liners (which I don't recommend, but some people like them).  how do u clean them? You can wash them (by themselves - diapers and covers only) in warm/hot water with a gentle or free and clear detergent and dry them in the dryer.  how much are they??  Various prices.  Usually you can get a "set" (the number of diapers and covers vary per set) of cloth for $50-70.  what are they made of??  You can find them made of cotton, hemp, bamboo or microfibers.

I know these may be dumb questions but they are real questions thanks in advance for answers  No question is dumb.

ok thought of same more questions sorry how long can they use the diapers for like I change my kids ever 2 to 4 hrs depending on how wet or poo they are.  Usually it's best to change them right after they pee or soil the diaper.  With disposibles, it's ok to wait after a few times urinating because the moisture is wicked away so quickly but with cloth, the moisture stays close to their skin.  But then again, cloth is better because they don't contain the harmful chemicals that disposibles do.

and what if they have diarreah???  Usually the cover is snug enough to contain the mess and the clean up is no different.  Maybe, be sure to lay another cloth underneath the baby before you change him so the mess doesn't get on the floor, etc.

Good luck!

peanut06
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 2:37 PM

Check out the Cuties with Cloth Booties group, among others.  They have tutorials, too.  And, like someone else said, if you're handy (or feel you could get that way), you can sew some that are cheaper and CUTER than the bulk-style you can buy, and they'll usually be better quality than the mass-production available ones, too.  There are also several groups just about sewing cloth diapers (and a few other things).

Aside from cloth diapers, some other things to consider/research are cloth mama pads, Diva cups, and natural sea sponges instead of pads and tampons :)

Yep, I'm one of those people :)

peaches_04
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 3:59 PM
bump for when im not mobile
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Tabi - Admin on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:59 PM

http://www.diaperpin.com/howto.asp

http://www.simplewondersdiapers.com/diaper-faq.htm

http://www.diaperjungle.com/cloth-diaper-guide.html

I use lots of different brands but stick with pocket diapers.  They have a fabric outside, a material called PUL(thats the waterproof stuff) and then a layer of fleece or micorsuede cloth.  They have an opening in the butt area near the waist that is the pocket.  YOu use inserts usually make of microfiber to absorb that are put inside the pocket.  The fleece pulls the wetness away from baby into the insert and babies skin stays basically dry.

The FAQ basically explains the washing.  Since my guy is on solids I dump the poop in the toilet and flush, its its runny I have to rinse them, then they go in a pail (sealed) til washing time, I wash every 2-3 days.

Some diapers are one size diapers and work for multiple size children..others are called sized diapers and come on S, M, L etc.  I have some of both.

SOME towns have local stores, we JUST got one.  I buy used on FB on Cloth diaper swap or on diaperswappers.com.  I buy new from www.theluvyourbaby.com they just restocked today or were supposed to.(they are $8 each for pockets which is GREAT)

Janis198
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:20 PM

http://www.cottonbabies.com/

is a great site.  My advice try a few different kinds before buy to many of one type.  Me personally I love pocket diapers ( fuzzi bunz to be exact)   =)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)