• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone here have PIOG

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:23 PM
  • 18 Replies

low blood pressure? My BP normally runs about 107/65 not sure about pulse. Well the past cpl of days I've been getting nausous and lightheaded. Even if I'm just sitting still. So I figured I'd take my BP. Well it was 85/54 pulse 91. So I called my mom to bring her cuff and stethescope. She gets here about an hour later takes my BP and it's 84/52 pulse 90. I've never experienced this before and have no idea what could be causing it. Honestly it has me kind of freaked out.

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pandapanda
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:09 PM
I had the same issue- mine was related to low iron. My bp would be 72/50 with a pulse of 145+ resting, and I was feeling sick/tired constantly. Try upping your vitaminC and iron intake. It may help.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:15 PM

Not me. Mine is always perfect.

Have you talked to a doctor to see how to increase it?

Roadfamily6now
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:16 PM

DH had low blood pressure yesterday too.

Treatment

Hypotension in a healthy person that does not cause any problems usually doesn't require treatment.

If you have signs or symptoms of low blood pressure, you may need treatment. Treatment depends on the cause of your low blood pressure. Severe hypotension caused by shock is a medical emergency. You may be given blood through a needle (IV), medicines to increase blood pressure and improve heart strength, and other medicines, such as antibiotics. For more details, see the article on shock.

If you have orthostatic hypotension caused by medicines, your doctor may change the dose or switch you to a different drug. DO NOT stop taking any medicine before talking to your doctor. Other treatments for orthostatic hypotension include increasing fluids to treat dehydration or wearing elastic hose to boost blood pressure in the lower part of the body.

Those with NMH should avoid triggers, such as standing for a long period of time. Other treatments involve drinking plenty of fluids and increasing the amount of salt in your diet. (Ask your doctor about specific recommendations.) In severe cases, medicines such as fludrocortisone may be prescribed.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0004536/

When to see a doctor
In many instances, low blood pressure isn't serious. If you have consistently low readings but feel fine, your doctor is likely to monitor you during routine exams. Even occasional dizziness or lightheadedness may be a relatively minor problem — the result of mild dehydration from too much time in the sun or a hot tub, for example. In these situations, it's not a matter so much of how far, but of how quickly, your blood pressure drops.

Still, it's important to see your doctor if you experience any signs or symptoms of hypotension because they sometimes can point to more-serious problems. It can be helpful to keep a record of your symptoms, when they occur and what you were doing at the time.

Conditions that can cause low blood pressure
Some medical conditions can cause low blood pressure. These include:

• Pregnancy. Because a woman's circulatory system expands rapidly during pregnancy, blood pressure is likely to drop. During the first 24 weeks of pregnancy, systolic pressure commonly drops by five to 10 mm Hg and diastolic pressure by as much as 10 to 15 mm Hg. This is normal, and blood pressure usually returns to your pre-pregnancy level after you've given birth.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/low-blood-pressure/DS00590/DSECTION=symptoms

Tammy

ICAN of Anchorage

Chapter Leader

JoJoBean8
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:52 PM
I have low bp but not low enough to make me dizzy or anything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DixieFlower
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:24 PM

That's probably my issue I have prencious anemia. I just started back to doing my B12 injections so I'm working on increasing it again  since I'm b12 deficient that causes me to be iron deficient also. I've been b12 deficient in the past but it never got to the point of this though. Guess my B12 really dropped :( It had been 7 months since my last b12 injection.

Quoting Pandapanda:

I had the same issue- mine was related to low iron. My bp would be 72/50 with a pulse of 145+ resting, and I was feeling sick/tired constantly. Try upping your vitaminC and iron intake. It may help.

peaches_04
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:35 PM

it sound like low blood sugar more then low blood pressure to me im low and alot of time people can function just fine that low...as long as you dont change positions to quickly...make sure to stand up slowly

oh and id  check on your sugar

DixieFlower
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:27 PM

Sugar is fine and the dizziness isn't when I'm changing positions.  I was sitting at the dinner table and started feeling lightheaded. Earlier I was just sitting at the computer and the same thing happened. I've had hypoglacimia before that's not what this was. I wouldn't have been concerned with my readings if I wasn't having the dizziness and lightheadness with it. Of course I'd keep an eye on it since the lowest my normal BP has ever been is 107/60 but it wouldn't have concerned me as much if there were no symptoms.

Quoting peaches_04:

it sound like low blood sugar more then low blood pressure to me im low and alot of time people can function just fine that low...as long as you dont change positions to quickly...make sure to stand up slowly

oh and id  check on your sugar

peaches_04
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:30 PM

could be anemia are u on any iron

peaches_04
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:30 PM

or dehydration

VintageWife
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:38 PM

Mine is always 107-65 or 111-69. Sometimes it drops even lower. I'm ALWAYS dizzy. I've heard them mention orthostatic hypotension more than once. I think it means your blood pressure lowers the more upright you are. Today, I was taking an elevator up to see my husband on the 8th floor of the hospital and by the time I got there (from the 4th to the 8th) I started to pass out. That's pretty normal for me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)