Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What does Natural parenting mean to you?

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:52 PM
  • 8 Replies

What does Natural parenting really mean to you? 

What does it include?

Do you feel you can be a natural parent but do things not exactly "natural" like formula feed, or use sposies?

Is there something you dont do as far as Natural parenting wise that you wish you could do?

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
PEEK05
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:57 PM

I feel natural parenting is trying to embody everything that happens naturally, like breastfeeding or instance. Also things that are more natural for the body/environment, like cloth diapers and organic foods. I feel that you can be a natural parent but still do more modern day things like formula. I mean, I don't think it's an all or nothing type of way to parent. There are natural things I need to work on, like switching from mainstream cleaning/hygiene products to more natural type stuff. Our kids already have natural hygiene products but we do not.

tabi_cat1023
by Tabi - Admin on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:09 PM

I feel alot like you do, I just know some people are very strict about that they feel.  We do not eat organic.  My baby ate nothing but fresh fruit veggies and meat til a year NO processed ANYTHING, no canned or even frozen anything...after a year we backed off a bit and relaxed some I guess.  Digestion changes so much at a year I guess is why.  I have switched from FFing to BFing  from sposies to cloth and now even switched to cloth wipes and momma cloth...we did baby led solids instead of baby food too.  We are gradually going more and more natural.  more baby weaing, less shots, etc etc.

I kinda wish we could afford to buy organic and all natural, I wish we had the time use less processed foods/quick foods.  There is an awesome organic co-op here with fresh fruits veggies and meats and dairy and everything and hey deliver, I wish we could afford it

PEEK05
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:35 PM

I am just like you in a way. My first was formula fed, my 3 1/2 month old is EBF. We used disposables and now we use cloth (but no cloth wipes yet), and whenever I get my cycle back I am going to use mama cloth at home and a diva cup while out and about, and we are ditching baby food and doing baby led solids, baby wearing, delay/selective vaccinating, etc.

Can you sometimes afford organic? Or how about just the dirty dozen? Or maybe even just your meats or milk products if you use milk? If not, it's not a biggie. You do what you can. :)

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

I feel alot like you do, I just know some people are very strict about that they feel.  We do not eat organic.  My baby ate nothing but fresh fruit veggies and meat til a year NO processed ANYTHING, no canned or even frozen anything...after a year we backed off a bit and relaxed some I guess.  Digestion changes so much at a year I guess is why.  I have switched from FFing to BFing  from sposies to cloth and now even switched to cloth wipes and momma cloth...we did baby led solids instead of baby food too.  We are gradually going more and more natural.  more baby weaing, less shots, etc etc.

I kinda wish we could afford to buy organic and all natural, I wish we had the time use less processed foods/quick foods.  There is an awesome organic co-op here with fresh fruits veggies and meats and dairy and everything and hey deliver, I wish we could afford it

peaches_04
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:42 PM
I totally believe there are different levels of crunchy:)
Im a bf, cloth diapering, momma cloth,baby wearing, drug free labor kinda crunchy
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 2:44 AM

Natural Parenting, for me, is parenting naturally from the heart. It is about slowing down, simplifying, and getting down to the basics of parenting.

Crunchy Moms ~ Lactivist ~ Natural Family Planning
                              ♥♥♥♥ Join me in some of these great groups ♥♥♥

norwgnwood
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 9:02 AM

In addition to BFing, clothe diapering, natural labor, organic products, I think natural parenting includes really trying to understand your kids. Don't get angry  when they are having a tantrum. 9 times out of 10 when you think about it you'll know why they are doing it and can more easily keep your cool and get them to calm down. Just put yourself in their shoes. They live in a strange world of giants and aren't fluent in the language. It can be a scary place. Keep calm and hug a lot. And don't expect them to behave like adults because they're not.

CafeMom Tickers
Brandi8307
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 10:18 AM

This is how I feel too.  I don't think you have to follow a list of "natural" ways, but feel you must be organic from the heart and not allow outside pressure to decide your parenting choices.

Quoting catholicmamamia:

Natural Parenting, for me, is parenting naturally from the heart. It is about slowing down, simplifying, and getting down to the basics of parenting.

Sarah725
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 3:20 PM

Natural parenting means breastfeeding, eating healthy, slowing down, enjoying the natural things in life like playing outside in the country and enjoying the world around you.  You can always be a natural parent and not do everything natural like formula feed.  It's one step at a time, you can't judge or people will be quickly turned away by all of it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)