Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my birth plan thoughts please update

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:52 PM
  • 9 Replies

k i'm not preggo yet but hearing you all talk about  stuff made me want to make mine tell me what you think.

Labor/ delivery

·         My daughter will be with us during labor and delivery

·         I will not be hooked up to an IV ( you can place the shunt but no tubes to the    bags)

·         I will move and walk as I wish during labor

·         I want birthing ball available  

·         I do not want constant fetal moderating ( only on occasion as I allow)

·         I do not want vaginal exams ( unless I ask)

·         Do not offer and pain medication ( Pain med free birth)

·         Do ask about pain lvl

·         I will eat and snack as I feel the need during labor

·         I do not want coached pushing. I will push when I feel the need to.

·         If a labor/birth tub is available I will want to use it or at least be in the shower  some of the time

·         I do not want to give birth on my back,

·         Do not offer the stirrups

·         I will give birth any position at is most comfortable for me

After birth

·         The Baby is to be placed on my chest immediately after birth

·         Placenta will be delivered naturally in its own time ( no pit , no pulling it out manually)

·         Do not clamp the cord till it has stopped pulsing and turns white. (Hubby or daughter will cut)

·         I do not give my permission or consent to antibiotic eye ointment, Vitamin K shot to be given to the baby

·         baby's first bath will done by XX and XX

·         I do not want baby's examinations or bath done for at least 30 mins after birth unless medically necessary.

·         All of baby's examinations and care will be done in my presence preferably on my chest.

·         I will hold baby instead of using heat lamps unless necessary.

·         Father will accompany baby ANYWHERE he is taken.  

·         Baby will room in with me.

·         I will breastfeed.

·         I do not want baby given any formula.

·         I do not want my baby to have a bottle.

·         I would like to see a lactation consultant.

C-SECTION

·         I will avoid a c-section unless absolutely medically necessary.
If c-section is necessary, I would like the Father present and fro the baby to be handed to the father.

·         All after birth request should be followed

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Pandapanda
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 1:36 AM

The first paragraph seems to contradict any confidence you have in the actual birth plan. Just my opinion though. I would totally omit it.

truealaskanmom
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 1:39 AM

Quoting Pandapanda:

The first paragraph seems to contradict any confidence you have in the actual birth plan. Just my opinion though. I would totally omit it.

I agree, the first paragraph is not needed at all.  I also suggest you go back and spell check etc. 

Sarah725
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 10:43 AM

I like the do not offer pain meds.  You have I will eat and snack is I feel... instead of as I feel.  I really like not clamping the cord.

Out of curiosity how old is your daughter?  Do you have a midwife or MD?

mommytotwonow
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 11:02 AM

it is very much like mine :)

Roadfamily6now
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Nice, I also agree with the above.

Earthy_Mom
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 12:05 PM

Nice. Like the others said though, I would either take out the first paragraph or rewrite it so there is more confidence something like "I will be in control of my labor and my childs birth. My wishes will be followed as I lay them out below."

Earthy_Mom
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 12:06 PM

Oh, and another thing... have you considered a doula? An extra hand/mouth to ensure your wishes are followed, an extra set of eyes to watch the doctors/nurses... that way if hubby is distracted with DD or you, someone else is there and can clamp down on the doctors if they make the mistake of thinking their in control?

thundersky
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 12:41 PM

okay cool thanks for the advice. my daughte is 3yrs old now.

thundersky
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 12:48 PM

Quoting Earthy_Mom:

Oh, and another thing... have you considered a doula? An extra hand/mouth to ensure your wishes are followed, an extra set of eyes to watch the doctors/nurses... that way if hubby is distracted with DD or you, someone else is there and can clamp down on the doctors if they make the mistake of thinking their in control?

i am thinking of a doula but as i'm not preggo yet no need to think about that just yet. when i am preggo i will change the birth plan to incorperate the indevidauls the will be present. if it is any thing like my labor/delivery of my daughter i will have lots of people ther that want to see the birth so i dont know yet.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)