Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Unassisted births:the cord

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:52 AM
  • 10 Replies
What do u do with it?
When do u clamp it?
What do u clamp it with?
Where do you clamp it?
What do u cut it with?
Where do u cut it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
truealaskanmom
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:53 AM

I will leave it alone until the placenta is delivered and the cord is white and shriveled and not pusling at all.  I will use a plastic cord clamp and sterile scissors, and cut it a few inches from the belly

lundaylove
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 8:42 AM

what do you do with it- you can do whatever with it as you would the placenta, ie. bury it, encapsulate it, eat it, whatever.

when do you clamp it- after its done pulsating. when its white and cool to the touch.

what do you clamp it with- there are cord clamps, cord rings, you can use string, dental floss,etc. we tied one end with suture cord (for stitches) and then used a cord ring but this took 4 of us to do and luckily hubby had suture cord and hemastats from work to use cuz it would have been impossible otherwise. lol

where do you clamp it- about 2" from the belly button

what do you cut it with- sissors

where do you cut it- right next to where you clamped it 

doulala
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:43 PM

I *kinda* like the idea of a lotus birth (no cutting the cord at all).   But am not sure if I'd really want to deal with "one more thing" postpartum, lol....

Roadfamily6now
by on Aug. 20, 2011 at 3:05 PM

I watched a wonderful Video about a Midwife in Indonesia and over there they burn the cord.

It's done after the placenta is delivered and then the cord is placed over a Burn Box and a small flame from a candle burns it apart.

Some cultures keep the cord for a few years in a small pouch, i believe it is given to the child when they are of age. (Native American)

Tammy

ICAN of Anchorage

Chapter Leader

norwgnwood
by on Aug. 21, 2011 at 1:11 PM

Quoting doulala:

I *kinda* like the idea of a lotus birth (no cutting the cord at all).   But am not sure if I'd really want to deal with "one more thing" postpartum, lol....

I've looked into lotus birth and I'm all about being natural but that is taking it too far! When you have to rub herbs on something to keep it from stinking to high heaven (because its a rotting organ!) is when I call it quits on my natural parenting. Wait for it to stop pulsing and cut it away; its done its job! I want to cuddle with by baby not my after birth! EEEEEEEW! But thats just me. :)

CafeMom Tickers
Roadfamily6now
by on Aug. 21, 2011 at 2:10 PM

BUMP

kcangel63
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2011 at 2:25 PM
We wait until it stops pulsating. Last time we waited an hour. Tied it with a string. One on baby's side, about 4-6 inches out, and one about 4 inches from that one on my side. We then used an xacto knife and cut the cord with that - between the ties. (Making sure all of it is sterile.)
We put goldenseal powder on baby's cord stump at every diaper change until it falls off a few days later.
I then freeze the placenta to encapsulate later.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Janis198
by on Aug. 21, 2011 at 3:42 PM

I waited until the cord was cold and not pulsing, then I used cord tape/string, I tied it about 3 inches from baby and then the other about 3 or 4 inches from the first one and then cut it with steril scissors in between them.  My husband buried the placenta in the back yard.

organicyogalove
by on Aug. 21, 2011 at 6:37 PM

you can do a partial lotus birth 

Quoting doulala:

Mama2lilGarrett
by on Aug. 21, 2011 at 10:36 PM

bump!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)