Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Truth vs. Myth about "Late" baby???

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:23 AM
  • 32 Replies

Can anyone offer information about a "late" baby?

I'm 39weeks 1 day right now and my midwives are outstanding, I love them and they've been open to compromises the entire time.  Never made me feel bad ever.  I have no clue if I'm effacing or dilating yet as they do not check my cervix just for curiousity sake.  I have only seen TINY bits of mucus so have not lost my plug yet, can't tell if baby's dropped because baby's been low the entire pregnancy so not much difference to notice.  I THINK I'm having contractions, but as this is a first pregnancy it's hard to pinpoint something you've never experienced before.  I've been extremely active (building a huge paver patio outside throughout my entire pregnancy, lol!) but baby is moving a ton and really happy and healthy at every appointment.

I just want to be prepared with info though.  My midwives were saying that if I'm still pregnant at 40weeks they'll check my cervix, assuming I allow it, which I don't have a problem with at that point.  Any reason to refuse it at that point?  Seems like it would be good to check.  They said that if I'm still pregnant at 41 weeks we'd do an ultrasound and NST to check on baby, especially plancenta health and fluid levels and make the decision if it was okay to let the pregnancy continue.  If still pregnant at 42 weeks, they'd like to try cytotec and/or pitocin to induce.

I do NOT WANT INDUCTION!!!!!!!  Hopefully I won't still be pregnant by then, but if I am, what should I know about these things?

Do placentas really get old?  Do they calcify?  Do they not support the baby enough if the pregnancy goes long?  Is ultrasound an accurate way to check amniotic fluid level?  How much can the estimate err?  If I'm still pregnant at 41 or even 42 weeks, is there anything I could be doing "wrong" that's delaying baby's arrival?

I'm aslo concerned because it took Chlomid to get me pregnant and while the pregancy has been excellent, what if my body DOESN'T know how to kick start the labor and does need a little intervention?  After all, I needed intervention to conceive so maybe my body won't start labor on it's own either????

Thank you!

by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:03 AM
Clomid should have little bearing on you actual pregnancy. You're midwives are generous to give you the full 42weeks. But I would still never induce with cytotec even if my life depended on it! That stuff is deadly!
Full term/average gestation for a first time mom is 41w1d. I'm on my iPad so I don't have acess to the research but you can google it.
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:20 AM
Normal pregnancy is 37-42 weeks so that ALONE shows its usually "ok" to go to 42, its still NORMAL as overdue isn't until passing 42 wks.

I agree the clomid shouldn't matter. And I also second the "average" first time mom carries to 41w1d.

As far as cervical checks go, WHY do it? If you get checked and your not making any cervical change, what are they going to do? Are they gonna push induction, are they gonna tell you your bodies not working? Are YOU going to be upset if there in nothing happening? Then there is the other hand-what if you are dilating? If your 3cm are they then going to push you to induce because your dilated some? Is it gonna put you on edge the whole time with every twinge? And then what if your 3cm and stay pregnant til 42 wks anyway? Personally *I* would NOT do the check. There is NO point to it nore does the info "mean" anything as far as predicting labor. It *does* mean something as far as induction, if your "bishop" score is high I bet they try to push induction.

And at 42 wks you STILL don't have to be induced. The placenta doesn't just up and stop, if its "going bad" there are signs leading to it. But you can have bpp (ultrasounds) to check that, and non-stress tests ect.
Remember due dates are MAN MADE times and calculations. Pregnancy is Nature Made, so it doesn't exaclty fallow the "clock." Nor does your body actually know exactly how many days/weeks you have been pregnant for. The way your due date is calculated makes a difference too. There is the classic way, the "wheel" is most common, but some other methods change it by up to 15 days-meaning, your edd could be 15 days later than the one you were given, not even making you due until your 42 wk mark :)

Good luck, remember its YOUR body, its YOUR baby. Medical professionals are there for ADVISING not MAKING *your* choices.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:22 AM
Oh forgot to add NO CYTOTECH!!!!!!!! PERIOD!!! The MAKER has even stated NOT TO BE USED FOR INDUCTION, yet its still done :/ but its BAD SHIT. It "works" as far as making the uterus contract, but it has had HORRID outcomes. Btw its the second half of the "abortion pill" for a reason.....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:34 AM
I agree. NO CYTOTEC! Read the manufacturer's label. It states it is not for use in pregnant women. My first pregnancy went long (3 weeks past due according to my calculations). I also conceived using clomid. When I went in for my induction I was actually having contractions every 3 minutes and just couldn't feel them at all. I was given pitocin and it sped up my labor but also made it extremely painful. I never felt one contraction in my abdomen. I had "leg labor" which meant every minute or so my thighs cramped down. I am conflicted about inductions. I don't want to have to have one with my current pregnancy but I also felt it was necessary with my first. We didn't know until after my daughter was born but her placenta had begun to calcify and was actually coming apart. Had we not induced when we did I don't know what the outcome would have been. Basically, go with what you are comfortable with but research and be aware what is being used, what complications could arise and how willing you are to take those risks.
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:53 AM

Did you say they use Cytotec?!?   yikes

No, there is no reason to "check" to see what your cervix is doing at any given moment in relation to when you *will* labor.
It is really just to give an excuse to intervene & to break down a woman's confidence in her body.
It doesn't tell us when we WILL labor so it's generally a great idea to avoid checking.

You can check the fluid and do the NST at 41 weeks but this is an unnecessary intervention (which can add unnecessary risks) if you are still within the normal range (38-42 weeks is the average).   You can do it for peace of mind but it seems like these midwives will be looking for an excuse, perhaps inventing things, so they can intervene.
ALWAYS YOUR CHOICE to induce or not at any gestation!

What might be "wrong" with delaying baby's arrival could be:
impatience (still within the normal range)
fetal positioning

Your body grew this baby.    Made a human with eyelashes and skin pores and a brain and lungs and taste buds and an umbilical cord and a placenta...   Your body has done this through a natural series of chemical reactions~~  these hormones will trigger labor eventually, too!

I do understand your concerns and doubts.    But keep in mind that after conception your body has been doing all these things automatically.....    No reason you suspect you won't continue.

If you get past the average estimated due period (after 42 weeks) and feel worried you might then start investigating options, but no reason to expect a problem before then or any time.

by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 11:55 AM
Quoting fairygirl_13:

the "average" first time mom carries to 41w1d.

I agree with everything, just wanted to reiterate this, though.

If it's your first baby, expect to go at least a week past to = average.

Just as a woman’s heart knows,

How and when to pump,

Her lungs to inhale,

And her hand to pull back from fire,

So she knows when and how to give birth.

- Virginia Di

by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:06 PM

Thanks everyone.  I'm trying not to worry about it, as I'm only 39weeks now and these are just "What Ifs" to think about if I'm still pregnant at 42 weeks.  Also, this was not my normal midwife, she was just filling in for the day while my normal two were both on call.  I'll try not to worry too much about it and talk through it with my normal midwives next week at 40.

by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:24 PM

When did your mom go into labor (if she did on her own)?  Many women that I have talked to, including myself, have similar labor times with their mothers, provided everything was left alone.

by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:31 PM

And be sure to know that IF you should decide to induce, be aware of the options and alternatives (to Cytotec).

If you needed to induce there are safer routes.     No reason to choose THAT dangerous drug.

Good luck!

by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 1:54 PM

dont let them use cytotec is is not intended to be used on pregnant women. it is an abortion drug. many women and babies have died from ruptured uteruses. do some reserch on it a very bad drug to use to induce labor.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)