Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

grandma's deliveries?

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:28 PM
  • 37 Replies

Has anyone else talked with their grandmothers about what her childbirth experience was like?

My grandma passed away recently before I had the opportunity to ask her, but I did ask my grandpa, whose 6 kids were born 1965-1975. 

She had all hospital births and he wasn't allowed in with the first baby, but after that he was allowed to put on a sterile gown and go into the delivery room with her.  He said she opted for no drugs and did not have forceps either.  He didn't remember if she was allowed to walk around so I am guessing she was stuck in bed.

He said the doctors were pretty liberal with the scalpel during birth.... after the birth of one baby, who weighed 10 lbs, she had 60 stitches (!!!!).  I knew she had incontinence etc problems and I am guessing that is likely why-- 6 episiotomies in ten years.

I'm so glad I know what I know about birth....

by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Caroline2010
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 1:25 PM

my great grandma had all 3 of her kids at home in bed! between 1928-1937! i was never able to ask my grandma since she past away when i was 4!

peanut06
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 1:50 PM

I was just thinking about getting this information this morning!  I do know that my mom's dad was born at home, as were all his siblings, and that they were chunks, something like 9-11 pounds each.  And that my dad's stepdad was born at home, and he was tiny (about 3.5 pounds), as was his brother, and their stillborn sister.

Image rear-facing.gif Rear Facing Blinkie image by catraviswearbaby.gif attached image by Positivemom aptrustingheart.gif Attachment Parenting image by nemmer88 billboard2.jpg without need is wrong image by Positivemom 

mommytotwonow
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:08 PM

my  great grandmother was an amazing women. I lived with her growingup so we talked about this a few times. She had her first in 1934 she was 16 or 17. She had a baby girl at home in her bed with the help of a family doctor. Same for her second a few years latter. Only my uncle was 10 lbs 10 oz and breach. My great grandmother was only 85 pound soaking wet at the time!!! Her third was a born in a hospital because she was born way to soon. I dont know how soon only she was lucky she lived. They had to get a goat for the milk to feed her. She would have had more babies but the last she got an infection and it turned "green" (that is how she said it) and she had to have a full hysterectomy in her early 20's.  

joyful_mama
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:18 PM

I only talked to one of my gmas about birth. She had horrible long labors in a bed lying down. My granddad tried to help her but all they would do is give her meds. 

I did recently find out though that one of my my great grandmas was a midwife! :D That made me so glad! 

TaeTaeLove
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 2:54 PM
All I know is that my paternal grandma gave birth both here and in scotland. Maternal grandma had a still birth and a baby that lived 3 days. They're both dead, so I can't really get anymore than that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Raeann11
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2011 at 4:43 PM

Nope, I was adopted. Never met her, I did find my birth mother in 2002. It was after her mother passed away. Her mother was embarrassed that she got pregnant and not married.

Ok that is another story. But even my birth mother and her mother never talked about that. Her mother said it was not something they talk about.

RachieAych
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 5:16 PM

I never got a chance to ask either of my grandmas.  Both passed away within a few monthes of eachother and I was like 11 or 12.  But I do know that my moms mom had 3 kids within 40 months.  and my dads mom had 12 kids with one miscarriage. 

peaches_04
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 5:17 PM

i never thought about it ill have to ask my grandma

Sarah725
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 7:05 PM

My grandmother died when I was 25 (6 yrs ago).  She didn't talk a lot then, very quiet women.  She always answered questions saying she didn't remember.  I wish I could have heard about her birth experiences she had 19 children, which included 5 sets of twins.

Earthy_Mom
by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 7:10 PM

Never had a chance to ask while they were alive.

I do know my mom delivered in a hospital (all 7 times). The first was done with the assistance of drugs, the others were all natural. Her biggest was her easiest and her smallest was her hardest (and now, the smallest baby is the biggest adult, and her biggest baby is the smallest adult out of all the kids lol). Never had a section or forceps or anything, was never cut either.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)